No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Flowerpot base paperweight vase, identified at last?  (Read 1093 times)

Offline bubbles

• Members
    • http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk
Flowerpot base paperweight vase, identified at last?
« on: March 21, 2008, 12:08:17 PM »
When I first saw these vases I immediately thought Murano because of the bright colours.  However I had since been almost persuaded that they were probably Chinese.  Imagine my surprise when I found this one complete with label.  Now I know that labels can be moved but as this particular vase has a flaw, I'm thinking that it lay forgotten at the back of a shop or that it was never used, hence the label survived.  I welcome your thoughts.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Flowerpot base paperweight vase, identified at last?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 04:42:18 PM »
Sadly, my thought is that those labels can be bought by the sheet and stuck on Chinese glass (and often are, by unscrupulous dealers, I'm afraid  >:(
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 06:04:29 PM »
Ni Hao it is as Chinese as it gets.

Offline bubbles

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 09:07:19 PM »
That's OK, I really, really don't care who made it, I get all my fun just from trying to identify them!  I did have my doubts, that why I posted it here.  I am amazed that anyone took the trouble to stick one on an item like that though, unless of course they saw me coming! ;)
Ivo, please forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by Ni Hao?

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 09:16:35 PM »
Ivo means 你(nǐ)好(hǎo), (literal translation 'You Good') a typical Chinese greeting and used much as 'hello' would be in English. Variants are 您(nín)好(hǎo) (more formal) and 你(nǐ)好(hǎo)吗(ma)?(how are you?).

From the early 80s, these types of vases became available to Chinese domestic consumers (though they were probably produced for export in the preceding decade) and are not an uncommon sight in the antique and flea markets in Shanghai.

Offline bubbles

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 09:41:38 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that Steven.  Perhaps I'll put that they are Chinese on my site now, I'm always nervous about stating something that I haven't proved beyond my considerable doubt.  If anyone has any more sources of information I can use I would be very grateful.
Thanks all,
Fun this isn't it?  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand