No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: IS this Scadinavian glass or Czech ... or something else?  (Read 1046 times)

Offline wesley

• Members
IS this Scadinavian glass or Czech ... or something else?
« on: March 30, 2008, 08:33:46 PM »
Hello,

I am having great fun finding out more about glass. I have this unusual piece in my collection which I always assumed is Scandinavian glass. Could anyone confirm this or even better suggest a designer?

It measures 8 inches in height with a ground pontil to the base and is heavy. It looks like it has been hand-blown then annealed to soften up the surface so that it looks like a block of melting ice.

Thank you in advance,

Wes

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: IS this Scadinavian glass or Czech ... or something else?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 01:24:38 AM »
This link is to a recent discussion of a similar piece, in that the glass was worked with tools and/or compressed air when hot. I know that some glass of this sort is Czech, some Swedish, possibly Aseda, and some Canadian, Chalet, and I've been trying to figure out the difference. Yours adds a different twist with ground out bottom and what looks like a lack of colour. It's certainly not like the Czech or Chalet glass I've seen.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19903.0.html

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 06:30:37 AM »
that looks like top quality lead crystal not glass or semicrystal. If so, think Peill or Sèvres or one of the Swedish crystal makers, perhaps even Hoya. I would not think of  Åseda or Chalet or Skrdlovice.
Now question 2 is how can you test the material. Do you have comparison pieces, a black light and a dark room? If so you can maybe match the refraction and purity. But admittedly, that is not an easy thing to do...

Offline wesley

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 08:35:51 PM »
Thank you David and Ivo

Question 2 is a bit of problem for me. I have a room which can be used as a darkroom, but I lack the black light. It is my Easter holidays soon so maybe I can invest in one then and try it out.

Looking closely at the piece and comparing it to some of my other Scandinavian glass, it is much purer in look  and clearer.  ;D

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 07:17:43 AM »
Wesley:

I was adding a post to another thread when I noticed this comment from Marcus.

"(Ricke) mentions comparable pieces produced at Aseda Sweden, after 1945
Ricke was right to suggest that Aseda made similar items. I have now discovered that Börne Augustsson designed what are known in Scandinavia as the “Börnevas", which look extremely similar.
These I have seen in colourless glass."

So  it might be Scandi by Börne Augustsson.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Hi there
ive seen one of these of very very similar (infact virtually the same all but colour) in blue case in crystal, which was attributed to Jan Barenek Skrdlovice, but at the moment cant for the life of me remember where i saw it, will have a search through and see if i can find it
michelle

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 02:10:23 PM »
Nice vase. I would guess Scandinavian, since the polished base with circular depression is not found on Skrdlovice pieces according to recent GMB discussions, the bases are flat. Another GMB member may have a better idea of which Scandinavian facotry may have produced this item... Though part of Ivo's comment was interesting as a slight possibility especially since I saw a very similar vase on ebay a while ago, as "possible Sèvres" but the seller did not have proof. Non Czech seems to be the likely case IMO and French-Scandinavian as possible routes of interest... and as Ivo salso suggests your Scandinavian hunch seems to still not be ruled out! Interesting post!

bOBA

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 02:21:03 PM »
bOBA is absolutely true,
in Škrdlovice were produced only pieces with flat, polished bottom. Moreover up to 70ties the glass in Škrdlovice was not very clean, therefore designers used colours, bubbles, etc to hide poor quality of material.

Jindrich

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand