No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: $20 million REPAIR job on Stained Glass windows............  (Read 3824 times)

Offline Patrick

• Members
$20 million REPAIR job on Stained Glass windows............
« on: April 16, 2008, 11:27:09 AM »
Hi, My Sister Brigid sent me this link to the New York Times article about the repair of the stained glass windows of St Thomas NY. Most of the Powell/Whitefriars windows were designed by my Grandfather James Hogan. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/15/arts/design/15stai.html?ex=1209009600&en=5bd4f27780b4a274&ei=5070&emc=eta1
If you look at the 'slide show' you will see a panel where there is a self portrait of him standing at work. Here is the link to the image .......... http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/04/11/arts/20080411_GLASS_SLIDESHOW_20.html
Regards Patrick.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: $20 million REPAIR job on Stained Glass windows............
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:11:19 PM »
Gorgeous windows pity they could not have replaced a couple with modern work though and put the replaced ones in a museum.

But the cost  :o Put into different terms it is the equivalent of feeding 4 million people in Africa for a week. Or "A WHO cost-benefit analysis calculated that every $1 invested in water yields an economic return of between $10-12 and the total investment required to provide a clean, safe and reliable public water point in Africa costs between $20-$50 per capita, depending on local climate, topography, and the technology employed (WHO)."

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Dave the Glass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 09:17:53 AM »
I don't think a couple of UPVC windows would be quite the same somehow, & although I am not a religious person I have been to some wonderful churches whose iconography,  must be worth a fortune, but i don't think they should go to museums. Although that ceiling in Rome, must be worth a few quid ;D

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 09:41:56 AM »
Quote from: Patrick
... If you look at the 'slide show' you will see a panel where there is a self portrait of him standing at work. ...

Patrick — I can't see him.  Where should I be looking?

Nice to see they are doing a proper job on those lovely windows.   Thanks for the link.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 09:55:43 AM »
I'm with Dave on this. If items of historical or design importance can stay in their original context, then there's no reason to move them - especially if that original context is in a public venue for all to enjoy anyway.

The windows look amazing and I really wish I'd been interested in glass when I visited NY in my teens, I would have pushed to hunt them out.

Offline Dave the Glass

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 10:28:23 AM »
Go back! Ive been 3 times now, its a wonderful city, so much to see, & no i didn't see this church when i was there
Dave

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 10:31:31 AM »
Naah Nic you would have probably thrown stones at them and then pushed them out,B  teenagers.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 12:53:39 PM »
 :o

I was a very conscientious teen with a great respect for the past - especially the material past, with antiques, architecture and such. Although, for all that, I do seem to be stuck firmly in the mid/late 20th century these days.  ;D

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 05:02:40 PM »
Hi Bernard,
Here is the pic http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/04/11/arts/20080411_GLASS_SLIDESHOW_20.html
 Regards Patrick.
Ps, Here is his name in the tracery of the large window that faces Fifth Avenue.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 05:16:09 PM »
Patrick — Thanks.   I had been looking for just one light with him on, like the hooded friar TM, not realising that you meant the whole image!

What a marvellous life he must have led.   Working and playing hard.   ... and being paid to travel around the world on the great ocean liners!   

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand