No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lalique Archers Vase Copy in Uranium Green  (Read 3327 times)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Lalique Archers Vase Copy in Uranium Green
« on: April 23, 2008, 12:05:27 PM »
I Recently acquired this vase, it appears to be a close copy of Lalique's no. 893 'Archers' vase. The pattern and position of mould lines all appear to match the original, though this vase is unsigned & lacks the protruding neck of the Lalique vase. It measures approximately 9 1/2 inches tall.

I believe it is probably contemporary with lalique's original production given the wear to the vase and the fact that it is in uranium green. If anyone has any more information and knows who made this vase, I would be very interested to hear.

Thank you

Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
Re: Lalique Archers Vase Copy in Uranium Green
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 05:08:24 PM »
If memory serves me right its Verlys

there was a court case Lalique were sure the'd win, but  strangely the judge ruled Verlys could continue to make the pattern as long as it was a clearly a lamp base and not a vase -hence the different top

regards

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Lalique Archers Vase Copy in Uranium Green
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 07:56:42 PM »
Mike, thanks for the input, interesting story about the court case too. I know Consolidated Glass in the US seem to have got away with copying Lalique's Perruches vase, though these are rarely seen outside the US. I also have a good quality ceramic copy of the Ceylan vase which I've never been able to positively identify.

I'm not sure about the Verlys attribution as yet though; I used to have a large collection of Verlys, both French & US production and never encountered this pattern before. The finishing isn't what I'd expect from Verlys either. I've had a look through McPeek & McPeek's Verlys of America (1972) and the Verlys sections in both Decelle & Cappa but couldn't find it, though I don't have a copy of Verlys of France or a full copy of the 1933 or 1937 French catalogues to check at present.

All the best

Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand