No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Some ABP for Kristi and Karen  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Some ABP for Kristi and Karen
« on: May 04, 2008, 08:13:21 AM »
I'm so pleased to see some interest in ABP as I have a few pieces I tried to get identified a while back, but we didn't get any result then.  So I'd like to share mine with you and see if anyone recognises the patterns and maybe can even give me an idea of a maker?  (None of mine are marked  :( )

Two are small 'nappy' bowls - I think that's what they're called in the US? - measuring 6 and 7 inches, and one is a bigger bowl measuring 8 inches across and 4 inches deep. 
They are shown in my Cut Glass Gallery here
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6670 
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6671
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6669 
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6668 
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6667 
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6666 
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6672 

I'd love to know anything you can tell me about them!

Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Some ABP for Kristi and Karen
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 08:34:05 AM »
Leni

Some nice items , nice to see someone also interested in ABP, not for me to help give any information, I just love to collect these fantastic items as and when I come across them , I will leave any advice to come from the experts

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KarenR

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 05:20:25 PM »
Leni, would it be possible for you to post some photos of the bowl "3/17" against a dark surface, window light only, flash off the camera? 

Between you and Roy there's lots of beautiful cut glass posted on this board.  I want to print out pictures and sit down with the references I have to see what I can find. 

Have you checked your glass for signature marks? 

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 06:39:23 PM »
"Between you and Roy there's lots of beautiful cut glass posted on this board."

I'll say!  Sensory overload!  It's excellent to see it all, I never would have guessed so much of it would appear here.  Makes my little brain all confusticated when I try to look for IDs - but then, it doesn't take much when it comes to rich cut glass.  Karen's the wiz at that.  I tried my hand for a bit last night, made my head spin.

The design on your first piece is quite pretty.  Is the crosshatching polished?

The second piece looks like "Hob Star" by Gundy-Clapperton, shown pp. 268, 269 and 155 in Swan's American Cut and Engraved Glass.  The main motif is known generically as Harvard, but yours has the same layout and border as the Hob Star shown in the book.  See also the Canadian Jug Roy has.  Gundy-Clapperton was started by Harry Clapperton after he left Gowan, Kent.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 02:15:53 AM »
Leni, be sure to look at Roy's thread here if you haven't already
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,21101.msg119357.html#new

Sid just added some interesting information about the company I think made your second bowl (we'll see what Karen says...maybe others did the same thing, and not just similar things).  And I have a request for you.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 04:33:54 PM »
Whoops!  I meant your third piece looks like Hob Star, and similar to Roy's pitcher!  I hope I haven't totally confused too many people yet.
Kristi

- Albert Einstein

Offline KarenR

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 03:33:09 PM »
Leni, I believe I have found the maker and pattern of your second bowl.  However, it's hard to be absolutely certain without seeing your bowl better.  It looks fairly shallow...would it fit in a large plate holder for a 'vertical' photo of it, macro setting on if you have one, flash off the camera, with window lighting coming from behind?

In the book reference photo, hobstars have been enlarged to accomodate 'handles' of a large ice cream tray.  On a round bowl such as yours, the hobstars would be equal in size. 

I've copied your photo of the bowl in question and included it in this post. 

Moderator: Images removed for copyright reasons

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 06:13:16 PM »
I will try to do some better photos of ALL my ABP over the weekend, Karen.  I've been very busy this week, but should have some time over the next couple of days. 
Thank you for looking  :)   :hug:
Leni

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 11:46:21 AM »
Well, I've tried to take some better pictures of my cut glass, but I'm really not sure they're an improvement  :-\

Anyway, here are the new ones, in case they help with ID.  Thank you, Karen & Kristi  :-*
Leni

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 02:46:17 AM »
I believe your third bowl is definitely Gundy-Clapperton's Hob Star (which isn't the same as Roy's jug - I goofed!!!).

It's still kind of hard to see the pattern on your second bowl.  See your decanter thread for some photo tips.  When you have time, take lots of photos, various distances and angles, post several of the best, and have patience.  Karen is very good at ID, but it often takes a while since she has lots of stuff to try to ID for various people and many times it's a matter of stumbling on the pattern while looking for something else.  That's why having good photos is so important - the better the pattern shows up, the easier it is to recognize "by accident" in a reference.  The reality is, though, that there are thousands of patterns by hundreds of cut glass companies, documentation is sometimes poor or non-existent, and even the top people in the ABP world often can't identify all their glass.

I've made some feeble attempts to find your glass, but I don't have the knowledge, experience or references that Karen does - I'm amazing I found one of them!
Kristi

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand