No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lesser & Pavey  (Read 7272 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Lesser & Pavey
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 07:50:19 AM »
I just asked who made this. If you know, please let me know. If not, then not.

Ivo, I apologise for hijacking your thread by answering Alan's post, not yours.

As to who made this Chinese / Taiwanese / Far East weight:  I attempted to find out this sort of information some time ago when I was researching Chinese weights.  Unfortunately I was totally blocked by the importers, who could not / would not give me the information.  I think they suspected I was a buyer, who would contact the factories and cut them, the 'middle man', out of the deal!  Kevin (H) has found some information about Chinese manufacturers, but again, the information tends to be general rather than specific. 

As for comments about quality:  Many of these modern Chinese / Taiwanese weights are very well made and as good, IMHO, as some made nearer to home (not wishing to upset anyone).   The only concern I would have re their quality is the quality and type of glass used.  I have several modern Chinese / Taiwanese weights which have gone 'cloudy' as chemicals leach out of the glass, and some where the surface of the glass has actually broken down and is forming 'bullseye' marks which look like 'bruises'!  These are weights which I keep in a closed cabinet.  I suspect this simply 'speeds up' a process which would inevitably happen over time anyway. 

However, I also have some modern Chinese / Taiwanese weights in the same cabinet which have NOT been affected in this way (yet?).  This indicates to me that the composition of the glass is slightly different, and would therefore appear to indicate that I have weights in my collection from at least two different factories.  More than this I have been unable to ascertain. 

I wish you luck with finding the maker of your (IMHO) modern Chinese / Taiwanese weight!
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand