No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Do you have UK cut glass and a UV light? A favour, please...  (Read 2557 times)

Offline krsilber

• Members
Here in the US the use of a UV light on glass is something of a controversy.  Some people say they are good for nuttin', others are under the impression that if something fluoresces, it must be old.  Personally I think they can sometimes be used as one tool for identifying and dating glassware IF they are are used knowledgeably.  Plus glowing glass is just kinda cool.

Anyway, I'm seeking to expand my knowledge, and I'm asking your help.  I'd like to know if British cut (or engraved) crystal glows, and if so, what color.  I've heard French crystal doesn't glow, but if possible it would be nice to have evidence to that effect as well.  If you have either, I would much appreciate it if next time you got out your UV light you could take a look and report your findings in this thread.

If you don't know where your cut stuff was made, post it and I or someone else may be able to help. 

If anyone has seen Continental cut glass from the 30s or later glow, I'd be interested in that, too.

Thanks much for your help!

PS - I once sat down with a sampling of my glass from various places and recorded fluorescence color.  If anyone is interested I can try to track down my notes and post them.

PPS - If anyone wants to discuss any aspect of UV-reactive glass in this thread, that's dandy.  If it glows, it's on topic! ;D
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Do you have UK cut glass and a UV light? A favour, please...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 06:22:43 AM »
FYI France is the only country where crystal is legally defined by its refractive properties rather than its constitution. There are dozens of different cristalleries, each having their own formula, so all varieties are found. The only sensible use of UV in crystal is to compare a known piece to an unknown one. And even then, use disclaimers profusely.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 06:08:07 PM »
FYI France is the only country where crystal is legally defined by its refractive properties rather than its constitution.  Interesting.  There are dozens of different cristalleries, each having their own formula, so all varieties are found. The only sensible use of UV in crystal is to compare a known piece to an unknown one.  But even this can be problematic if the item in question was made over a long period of time since glassmakers' formulas changed over the years.  And even then, use disclaimers profusely.

I'm aware of the drawbacks and constraints of using UV, which is why I say it must be used knowledgeably and only as one tool among many, if at all.  The problems arise when people start to think UV is an answer, rather than (potentially, in some cases) evidence.

In the US it is sometimes used to assess whether ABP-style cut glass is fake.  For instance, no ABP fluoresces pink in longwave UV, but fakes sometimes will.

A friend of mine has a piece of Straus that doesn't fluoresce.  As I understand it the same pattern was made over a period of years, but before a certain date was called one thing and afterwards another (ABP is a PITA!).  Since hers doesn't fluoresce she was able to determine it was the earlier version, made on an imported blank.  That's a brief summary and there's other info that I'm omitting, but it's one instance of a legitimate use.

Much of my Bohemian glass fluoresces a dirty pale orange color that I've never seen in American glass.  That doesn't mean no American glass glows that color, but if I had an unknown piece that did I would look in the direction of foreign before American.

At this point I'm just trying to gather data; I don't plan on using the results of a few pieces of glowing glass to extrapolate and make generalizations - that would be a misuse of it.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 06:55:57 PM »
Kristi, you really must state the "rules of the game" to get any meaningful data for this type of analysis. As you have said in response to Ivo, you are aware of many of the problems, such as the fact that a company may have used different batch over time that reacts differently under UV. But other folk may not know these things and therefore, without knowing the "rules", results could be (unintentionally) distorted.

Also, your request asks aboout "glow" under "UV". But what is meant by "glow"? Some results may show a weak reaction that many people would argue is not a "glow", but which perhaps should be taken into account just as much as something that has a bright reaction.

And do you only want longwave (blacklight) results?

I could try to provide some info for items I have - maybe with photos (?) - but without, in most cases, knowing the actual dates they were made, will it be useful?
KevinH

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 02:21:48 AM »
Kev, you're right that I wasn't very specific about the kind of information I'm looking for.  Partly that's because I didn't want to scare people off, making it seem too "scientific" for them to be able to help out.  The other part is that as far as English glass goes, I'm starting from scratch myself.  The only cut (engraved) piece I have is mid-20th C. Webb, and it doesn't fluoresce.  Mostly I'm asking about this out of curiosity; if there are any generalizations possible, all the better, but right now I'm more in the exploratory stage.

There is a common statement in ebay listings for ABP along the lines of "it fluoresces greenish, confirming it's ABP."  Of course this is nonsense, but it would be nice to be able to say whether glass from elsewhere and from what periods also fluoresces greenish.  That's one objective.

As far as dating goes, I think the best I can hope for is narrowing a piece down to a period.  From what I understand there is in English cut crystal a brilliant period and a Regency period (is there something inbetween?), and then the stuff that came after.  If people have earlier pieces, that's great, too.  Since these are based on the style of glass I think it might be possible to make a decent guess, anyway, what is what.  Though I don't know it to be the case, I expect glass made after about 1930 give or take a couple decades not to fluoresce greenish since manganese as a decolorant was phased out around then by many glassmakers.

If people are up to posting photos of the pieces they look at (under normal light), that would be excellent!  I don't want to turn this into a pain for anyone, though...there's the ideal information, which is nice and specific, and there's the rest.  If the data are ever subject to any kind of thorough treatment (if that's even possible), they would be weighted accordingly.

Down to specifics (the "rules of the game" ;)). 
Colors - lime green, apple green, pink (kind of fuschia really), "electric" bluish, silver/white, orangish, yellow.  These are the colors I've seen under longwave UV.  There may be others. 
Tone -  pale, medium, or deep.  This is like the difference between a light pastel yellow and a lemon yellow, and is separate from...
Strength of glow - weak, medium, strong
Date - as precise as you can get, but a range or a ??? is fine, too, though in that case please post a photo.
Maker, if known.
Country/region of origin if known and maker is unknown.

That's the ideal, but folks! don't let it overwhelm you :).  If you wish to contribute, please do even if you don't know whether something is lime green or apple green, pale or weak.  Some of these measures are subjective and are only possible to judge when comparing multiple pieces of glass or with experience.

The colors I listed are for longwave UV; if people have shortwave UV lights, that would be great information to have, too.  Gary Baldwin in Moser Artistic Glass says that using a combination of shortwave and longwave UV he is able to differentiate among Bohemian "crystal," Venetian "crystal," and central European lead crystal from the mid to late 19th C.

Thank you for even reading this long post!  I hope this ends up interesting others as well.
Kristi

- Albert Einstein

Offline bungie60

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 01:39:09 AM »
Checking some bits of uranium glass yesterday and noticed a clear glass candle stick reacted, so checked some more pieces, some did and some did not.I have never known this to happen before it has always glowed purple or bluish, could it be contaminated or was uranium or some other chemical added to the clear glass for some reason. Is it rare and can the makers be identified by the pictures, would it help if you knew who made them was it standard practice. I know some Scottish paperweights glow but i think this is crystal glass. I am at a loss all help and input greatly appreciated.
p.s in plain English please
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10107
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10105
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10111
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10113
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10109
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10101
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10114
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10110
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10112
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10115
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10108
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10102
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10103
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10104

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 06:43:12 AM »
See my reply to your separate post Bungie.

PS Your pieces are all pressed and not cut

Offline crystalclear

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 10:29:09 AM »
Interesting discussion.

I gave up on my UV light, I think I need a new one.

English pieces of cut glass, I have no success in changing color under the light.

I did have a Clark piece that the color was a deep yellow and I have not seen any other glass have the same color.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 05:28:49 PM »
I hope Christine (lustrousstone) doesn't mind if I copy her comments to Bungie60 in this thread.  Her great explanation might help others reading it in the future.  (My additional comments are in blue.)

The greenish glow in your clear glass (including paperweights) is caused by the presence of a manganese compound. This was very commonly used as a decolorising agent; clear glass often naturally has a greenish colour cast like Coke bottles.  Manganese has been called "glass soap" and has been found in glass of ancient Rome.  The green color of "bottle glass" is due to iron impurities in the sand used to make the glass; it can also be seen if you look at the edge of modern plate glass. Other decolorising agents are generally used instead these days.

This yellowish green glow can be found with other glass colours, including green, so unless your green glow is really really bright green, you can't attribute it to uranium. Uranium always glows the same shade of bright green, no matter how little was used. The glowing just looks a little diluted.

This is the sort of glow uranium gives, your photos are excellent examples of the glow manganese gives in glass of any colour  I haven't seen it in any color but "clear" colorless glass - has anyone else?

Managanese is also what causes clear glass to develop that greyish or purplish tinge (or even a very bright purple tinge but not in the UK, not enough sun or UV rays). The ultraviolet light causes a chemical reaction that turns the manganese compound from a colourless one to a purple one,

Manganese is also used in greater quantities for the intentional purple color of amethyst glass.  In this state it doesn't glow.

(Crystalclear:)
I gave up on my UV light, I think I need a new one.    That may be.  Fluorescent lights gradually lose their effectiveness, and UV lights are no different.  English pieces of cut glass, I have no success in changing color under the light.  Interesting.  If you know any details about the ones you've tested, I love to hear them, for instance maker, date or period (approximate is fine), how many you've looked at.  I forgot to say that

I'm just as interested in knowing about English (and French, and others) cut crystal that doesn't fluoresce as that which does.

(I used the "glow" button to catch attention of those just scanning the thread...cool button!)
.  I did have a Clark piece that the color was a deep yellow and I have not seen any other glass have the same color.  Also interesting!  You mean TB Clark and Co., the ABP company, right?[/quote]

Thanks for your comments, everyone!!! :hiclp:

Kristi

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 05:55:52 PM »
I have had pieces of green and blue non-uranium pressed glass with the manganese glow

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand