No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gilded and engraved finger bowl with chesnuts  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Gilded and engraved finger bowl with chesnuts
« on: June 07, 2008, 05:01:23 PM »
This is finger bowl (at least I assume it's a finger bowl) is really pretty, the glass and the blowing aren't top quality, but the engraving is lovely with matte and semi matte finishing to add shine and depth to the leaves and chestnuts.

Five repeats of a spray with two leaves and three chestnuts. The gilding is interior to highlight four rings (two above and two below) encasing tiny olive cuts. I have three of these, one in noticeably thicker glass than the rest)

4.25 in (11 cm diameter) and 1.25 in (3 cm) deep.

Who, what, where and when would be nice please

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Gilded and engraved finger bowl with chesnuts
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 02:00:17 PM »
Just talking to myself again... ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 02:53:17 PM »
Can I just annoy people by posting to say nothing about this except that I love it and I think it's very pretty indeed!?  >:D  ;)   
Leni

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 05:10:07 PM »
It is indeed pretty!  Tough one to ID though, IMO.  Probably Bohemian/Czech is my guess; the style of engraving is very typical.  Is there evidence of any gold left in the cutting?  The engraving could also be American, in which case I would think it's Hawkes since few engraved pieces of the ABP were gilt in any way (with the exception of the occasional Dorflinger piece decorated by Honesdale) and other decorators after the ABP were unlikely to partially polish their designs.

On the other hand, could be French, Belgian or English and I'm simply not aware that work like this was done in those countries.  But I know for certain that the style of engraving was done extensively in Bohemia.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 06:40:51 PM »
could be French, Belgian or English and I'm simply not aware that work like this was done in those countries

so why mention it? And why skip Germany, Austria, Poland, Hungary, Portugal, Italy and Spain?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 07:06:37 PM »
OK, so could be from anywhere. The only gilding is inside the bowl, not over the rim pattern. No gilding on the chestnuts. As I said the chestnuts and large leaves have been highlighted by lightly polishing in places to give a natural leaf/chestnut sheen.

Any thoughts about when, mid 19th C or earlier?

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 10:02:36 PM »
could be French, Belgian or English and I'm simply not aware that work like this was done in those countries

so why mention it? And why skip Germany, Austria, Poland, Hungary, Portugal, Italy and Spain?

Germany and Austria are (unlikely) possibilities, but I highly doubt it was done in any of the other countries Ivo mentions.  French and English are somewhat more likely because of the variety of engraving done there, but I know of no examples that are in this particular style.  I don't know why I said Belgian - it was an afterthought.

I'd say early-mid 20th C.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 06:30:53 AM »
I don't think they are that "new", the quality of the engraving is far superior to the quality of the glass blowing and did anyone use finger bowls in the 1950s?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 08:42:27 AM »
Yes, even in lower middle class homes like ours. I can remember then until at least the 1960s before they disappeared apart from fish restaurants.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 09:29:01 AM »
Oh, well you was posh then. I'm a working class pleb and never saw a finger bowl until I started going to Chinese restaurants in the 1970s.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand