No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bucket shaped controlled bubble vase. Not Whitefriars - but who?  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
When I saw this I thought at first it was WF but I can't see it in the catalogues, and it's the wrong shade of green, too  :-\   Any ideas?  Could it be Webb?  I believe they did a few pieces which were quite similar to WF. 

It's 7 and a half inches high (19 cm) and 7 inches across the top (17.5cm) and has a large round polished-out pontil mark.
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: Bucket shaped controlled bubble vase. Not Whitefriars - but who?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:37:51 PM »
Leni,

I hardly dare give a reply to this one, as it will seem like the obligatory, 'well if it ain't W/F, then it has to be Webb, or S & W'.

Well I'd plump for S & W. The colour's something that they are known to have produced as well as the controlled bubble effect and the shape. Anyway, it's what I'd say to myself if I found it out and about, but no proof I'm afraid!

Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Bucket shaped controlled bubble vase. Not Whitefriars - but who?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 06:51:42 PM »
Thank you, Nigel :)

I thought it was WF Sea Green when I first saw it, but as soon as I got my hands on it I could see it was a bit too much of a bluey green!  In fact, in the evening light I thought it might even be that blue-green shade of Uranium glass!  :o  But it's not  ::) 

Well, "possibly S&W" will have to do, and thank you again  :-*
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand