No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: SOWERBY ELEPHANT DISH  (Read 6790 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
SOWERBY ELEPHANT DISH
« on: July 04, 2004, 03:46:14 PM »
I currently have three dishes that have handles shaped like an elephant's head with trunk.

I understand these are Sowerby, but would like to know how many different varieties there are. Currently I have three: amber, green and pale-blue, each having a different style.

Go to: http://www.cortex-design.co.uk and click 'glass' (unsurprisingly!)

Note that the green vaseline colour is slightly stronger, and the blue colour slightly weaker. Any help much appreciated, as always.

Over to you Bernard?  :lol:
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Quick preview of amber dish handle
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 03:49:41 PM »
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Tony

Soweby Bowls with Elephant head Handles
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 12:55:59 AM »
Hi David
We are out in the wilderness on our own!!
I have tried your link on web site but when I click on glass a flag appears  Error  
A Runtime Error has occurred
Do you wish to Debug?
Line 59
Error 'spareon' is undefined

I have tried to Debug but does not work. so I cannot see your photo, but looking at the quick preview I am sure it is Sowerby Pattern 2614, this did come with a tailored black glass base.

My referance is an article. English Art Deco Pressed Glass. Part One; SOWERBY by Monica & Peter Cadwell.It is in "Marking Times" The Journel of the Pressed Glass Collectors Club No. 28 Winter 2001.
I would like to find Monica & Peter as I belive they have a wide knowledge of this type of glass.
I have seen 2614 in two sizes, also in clear and green uranium.

Tony H inNZ

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
We'll get there!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 08:40:47 AM »
Hi Tony,

Yes, it has been a bit quiet but perhaps holidays are starting to kick in?

Anyway, I have tried my Web site and everything appears to work fine, so try this direct address:

http://www.encill.abelalways.co.uk/pages/glass.html

Does sound like a browser problem objecting to some code, but it's pretty straightforward HTML throughout. I might start a glass web site at some stage when time permits!

But many thanks for confirming the Sowerby number. Interesting also that you confirm that there is clear version (I have a very pale 'ice' blue) and have yet to discover clear ones. The Uranium one, I imagine, must be quite scarce?

If you do manage to see my Web page then I can confirm there are three different shapes: the green and blue are very similar in size, while the amber is much larger and without a plinth.

If anyone does have a picture of the black glass base Tony mentions, I would be grateful for it.

David
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
SOWERBY ELEPHANT DISH
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 03:33:41 PM »
I currently have three dishes that have handles shaped like an elephant's head with trunk

David
Only one pic is ok - the other links are no longer valid.
Were all 3 confirmed as Sowerby ?
Pete

Offline Tramonto

• Members
SOWERBY ELEPHANT DISH
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 11:09:01 PM »
I have a small milk / cream jug with the elephant handle which is made in clear glass.  The bowls turn up quite often on ebay but I haven't seen a jug anywhere yet.  I'm assuming it is Sowerby piece?

Offline Leni

• Members
SOWERBY ELEPHANT DISH
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 10:39:19 AM »
I have seen the milk jug in that peachy-pink* and assumed it was Sowerby.  It appears to be the same pattern as my (green) 'sugar' bowl.  

*I almost bought it, but it was too badly chipped even for me!   :shock:  :roll: (On the other hand, if it had been in green I might have bought it even with the chips!  Are they as rare as they seem to be?  Compared with the bowls, that is, of which I have seen plenty.)
Leni

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
SOWERBY ELEPHANT DISH
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 12:33:23 PM »
David et al — I don't know how I missed this one, but better late ....

The 2614 range is as follows:

1. Large 8" unfooted bowl, flared shape.   This came with a matching 4" 2444 flower block (very similar to the Davidson semi-dome).   Known colours are Amber, Blue, Green, and Rosalin (Sowerby's name for their variable pink).   Like many Sowerby patterns it may exist in Flint (uncoloured) but I have not seen one.   Other colours are possible.

This came on a specially made magnificent black waisted plinth which sets it off perfectly.   The plinth is unnumbered, so we don't know whether it was known as 2614, an adjacent number like 2615, or something completely different.   I have only seen the one version of this plinth.

2. Standard footed bowl, flared shape.   This came with a matching 2½" or 3" 2444 flower block (I will tell you which when I next unpack a set).   Known colours are Amber, Blue and Green.   It was probably made in Rosalin and possibly in Flint and other colours.

This came on a standard multi-purpose black plinth.   I think that it was just the one shape, unlike the 2606, known in at least three slightly different shapes.   I will confirm numbering and numbering variations when I next check my stock.

3. Standard footed bowl, slightly cupped shape (same mould as #2).   Known colours are Amber, Blue, Green, Rosalin and Flint.   It may have been made in other colours.   I believe that this was sold as a sugar bowl.   I have seen this offered as part of a two- or three-piece flower set, but never from a completely reliable source.

4. Cream jug.   Known colours are Amber, Blue, Green, Rosalin and Flint.   It may have been made in other colours.   Its scarcity in comparison with the sugar bowl may simply reflect the popularity of the sugar bowl with the catering trade.

5. Tray.   Only known in Flint as part of a three-piece set, sugar, cream and tray.    I have had just one set through my hands and have seen only one other.   This is a magnificent item, certainly created by same designer as the 2552 (butterflies) trinket set tray.    Why it did not sell in quantity is a complete mystery to me.   If the mould was damaged, why did they not make another?   If it was a client commission / exclusive, why did the client not sell them by the truckload?

I would be grateful for the missing information if someone has it to hand, as it saves me finding the right box and unpacking it.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
SOWERBY ELEPHANT DISH
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 09:47:41 PM »
Sorting out for the MK fair, found the standard set plinth.   It is marked, and you will be less than astonished to know that it is "2614 S".   A mid-1950s Sowerby catalogue refers to it as "S2614" and to the waisted gem for the large set as "B2614".

Both were available separately and for use with other sets they fitted, as were all circular Sowerby plinths.

The block for the standard set was 2½".

I will have all these on display, including the complete large pink elephants set, at the MK fair later this week.   Unmissable for plinth enthusiasts!   Free parking after 6.00 pm.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
SOWERBY ELEPHANT DISH
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 12:01:08 AM »
Here's a pink one!

I'm seeing pink elephants again.  :lol:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand