No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Murano glass?  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Ming

• Members
Is this Murano glass?
« on: July 04, 2008, 02:38:31 PM »
Hi
Can anybody tell me is this Murano glass ? There is no label and not signed. Any information will be most appreciated. It ia about 8.52"(22cm) high.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/courtoak/Murano017.jpg

Never walk away from a bargain

Offline Martyn K

• Members
Re: Is this Murano glass?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 03:52:37 PM »
I've noticed a number of this style of vase turning up in the last year at fairs and local auction houses and suspect they are from China....others may disagree.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 04:01:30 PM »
Not seen these before, but quadruple somerso with a double air twist does not look like something you can do before mastering the double and triple somerso. It really is the state circus of glass making. If it is Chinese they have come a long long way in a short short time.

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 05:14:40 PM »

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 05:59:50 PM »
I've seen vases like this retailing for about £45, and I've wondered where they come from.  There's a shop in Hastings that has a combination of antiques and repro items of all descriptions and several of that type of vase.  They're BIG too, the ones I saw were about 10" and some stood on glass plinths.  I couldn't work out how they could retail for that little or where they came from.  It's a lot of glass for a little money.  I'm down there quite often, so I'll ask the shop keeper next time.

I am not a man

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 06:03:46 PM »
I've seen many of this type on ebay, and strangely, the auctions are almost always form Australia. The first time I saw one, it looked exciting to me, but then I saw that the seller was listing the same pieces over and over, which led me to also suspect a Chinese origin.
Shannon

Offline Ming

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 06:18:48 PM »
May be Shannon is right.
Look at the description from the ebay item. It said,"  An incredibly seductive vase, it combines modern design with glass-blowing techniques from Murano Italy. "
It did not said it was made in Murano or anything like that.

Never walk away from a bargain

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 07:38:15 PM »
Here's the same on on the Goodwill (charity store) website. Unfortunately, no label.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=3796251
Shannon

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 04:59:24 PM »
I've seen a lot of these lately both on Ebay and local car boot sales, so I just assumed they were Chinese

martin
martin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand