No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dartington, Frank Thrower?? Or Ravenhead Flair Lotus, or Lasisepat?  (Read 30055 times)

Offline px

• Members
Re: Dartington, Frank Thrower??
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2011, 06:00:04 PM »
Ha, rosie, Iittala in this respective makes me rather laugh than cry !!! :D You could as well try and sell yours as Murano and Sklo Union, I am sure nobody would be surprised, so many desperate or innovative tries we keep seeing all the time.  ;D

But; as I have saved reference pictures of several LasiSepät stickered of the two lower models I personally am quite positive they have produced them too. Like mentioned - I have not yet seen the tallest model here - the one we have seen with a Ravenhead box.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2012, 01:08:25 PM »
Wow, that is a really fine display and I am especially fond of Scandinavian design.
Such tidy shelves elegantly arranged... Hmmm, I'm beginning to think I will have to have a bigger clear out than I thought!!

You do have one piece which I think has now been undeniably identified as Ravenhead Glass on the second set of shelves, third shelf down on the left... was thought to be Lasisepat Glass but I was fortunate enough to buy a pair with the original box,  so will post some pictures of them here so you can see them and decide if you think it should still stay with the 'Scandies'.
I have just sold six of them to one buyer! Needless to say I have kept the two in the original box for myself!!

There is also a larger version, again I was fortunate to buy one in the original box, and I have added a picture of that here as well. so all these years when I thought they were Lasisepat, they were made here in UK!
I have four of these for sale as well!! 
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2012, 06:40:18 PM »
Rosie, do the Flair boxes actually say Made in the UK/England?

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2012, 08:09:02 PM »
Hi Christine, yes, definately!!

The small candle holders box has 'Made in England/Fabriqué en Angleterre, The Ravenhead Company Ltd, St Helens England.'

The larger one has 'Made in England/Fabriqué en Angleterre. The Ravenhead Company Ltd. Pyrene House, Sunbury.

I know there is a link somewhere here on the Board that mentions one with a Lasisepat Mantsala label,  but as I have always said,  labels can be removed and placed on other pieces of glass either deliberately or accidently....these boxes are, in my opinion, definative proof that these bowls were made in England by Ravenhead.
I am certain that I have already said this on a thread here on the board somewhere.
Rosie.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2012, 08:16:55 PM »
You have Rosie, but I think if I recall correctly that one of our Scandinavian members has also confirmed that these were designed at Lasisepat Mantsala. AGain if I recall, there has been discussion about who designed them originally and how they could have come to be made in England.
Kisslikeether and Simba thanks for sharing...I love seeing other people's glass and their displays - yours are both great  :)
Kisslikeether is that  Kjell Engman pitcher?
m

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2012, 08:40:47 PM »
Yes, I think it was px who said it was Lasisepat because he had sourced one with a label, and I have Just found the thread, m,

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,22282.70.html reply 76 onwards.

The thread drifts to a question about a quite different cow parsley sundae dish and the colours it is available in, then comes to the apparent Lasisepat Mantsala vase, called Metsa, meaning Forest... this has been quite a long research project for me.

I discovered that Ravenhead had links with an American glass firm which may account for the reason why many of these are seen on the US site... there is a larger shallower version that was recently available on USA eBay, and that was listed as Lasisepat.

Urban myths are a worry, because even when you have the proof in front of you, the old belief has gone on for so long you find yourself questioning the evidence in front of you.

I am satisfied now that unless I see an illustrated container showing this to be Lasisepat, then for me, a label will not be proof enough.
Rosie.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2012, 08:54:40 PM »
Rosie more than one of these has been seen with a Lasisepat Mantsala label and in different colours I believe.
m

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2012, 09:13:37 PM »
I havent seen them, only heard of them m, but if I see more proof, I am happy to research that avenue... in the meantime, in fairness, I wonder if this part of the thread might be better relocated to the other thread mentioned earlier so that this can revert to the show me yours thread again.
Rosie.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2012, 08:39:21 AM »
There is a tall 'cactus' /Lotus vase on ebay at the moment in smoke colour listed as Dartington.  I've emailed the seller to ask if it is labelled.
I've asked the mods to rename the thread title to include Ravenhead Flair Lotus and Lasispet in the title somehow as it may help with future searches.
m

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2012, 10:56:10 AM »
I think extending the title to include all the names is an excellent idea m... this is an intriguing subject.
I saw the smoke colour vase on eBay , and wonder if the Dartington name is being used as a result of urban myth??  It will be interesting to note any reply here for future reference.

The Lasisepat vases on Huuto ( Now ended) were referred to as 'Metsa' meaning forest,  but I have since seen others listed as 'Metsa' that are quite different.

In fact PX you made a link to this thread:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,40060.0.html

where you say the square bowl is Lasisepat Mantsala 'Metsa' design,  yet I found one shown further on in the thread that I added that had the Viking label. So was the Viking label added to the second one,  or was the Lasisepat one originally a Viking bowl with the label removed???

I am not trying to be argumentative here, just want to show how easy it is for any of us to be carried along by the belief that an item is made by a glass manufacture just because it has a label, even a signature can be forged.

To some extent I feel a sense of responsibility for perpetuating what may possibly be a further urban myth, because for a long time, when I saw a Lotus vase listed as Dartington Frank Thrower, I messaged the seller saying it was actually A Lasisepat Metsa design votive made in Mantsala with all the info I had gleaned at the time. It may still be true, the design may have been sold on, but we have no record of any of that.

So an illustrated carton showing the contents is invaluable in helping to positively identify the provenance of an item. And that is all I have tried to do here....share with you all,  the ones I have, that have boxes illustrating the contents clearly, with Made in England on them.

I am sure there will be more to come in time.  As they say, 'The thick plottens'!

Rosie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand