No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: need to find trumpet vase  (Read 874 times)

Offline lsc_coffee_2008

• Members
need to find trumpet vase
« on: August 03, 2008, 09:12:31 PM »
Hello,

I am looking for a trumpet vase that was in my family for years before it was broken.  It was always known as the lily vase, and when it broke, my mother's heart broke too.  The vase had belonged to her mother, who was born in the late 30's in Upstate New York.  By spending the last six hours online looking, I think I can properly give the following details:
Style:  Trumpet, with base
Color:  Clear
Cut:  Either cut glass, cut crystal, depression glass or pressed glass
Rim:  Sawtooth edge with wave pattern, either 3 or 4 "petals"
Design:  This vase had a deep cut, lily pattern. 
Height:  8-12"
Weight:  Unsure, it was either crystal or glass, I can't truly remember.
Width:  4-6"

It would mean so much to my family if I could find this vase again.

Thank you so much,

Amy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: need to find trumpet vase
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 10:08:04 PM »
Amy so sad to be of no help in your case - it will be difficult without photo -... of an item which does not exist anymore ?
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 04:55:27 AM »
Hi Amy

May be a starting point but it does sound like the vase you are looking for was a late American cut glass, particularly as you say saw tooth edge and deep cut lily design pattern, may be difficult to find the exact vase, you could try a search on ebay with ABP or brilliant cut , or google it and you may find a similar vase,

Roy

Offline KarenR

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 06:21:56 PM »
I don't post much on the glass message board because all I can do is tell someone to go to the library and try to find such and such a book rather than help with examples from the reference library I have. 

If the grandmother's vase was American cut glass and not pressed glass, Tuthill, a New York cutting house during the American Brilliant period would be a logical place to start - they were known for exquisite  engraving of flowers, fruit, etc., specifically a gorgeous lily, often combined with geometric motifs.  They were in business from about 1900 to 1920 and were located in Middletown, New York. 

A cut glass vase by all who picked it up would have been remembered to feel quite heavy for its size due to lead content. 

I'm not quite sure of the chronology of your vase.  If your mother's mother was born in the 1930s and the vase was purchased brand new, the American Brilliant period is virtually ruled out.  Even the 1920 end date of Tuthill is pushing it.  The year span of the ABP is about 1870-1915.  World War I essentially pulled the plug on the American Brilliant period due to cut off of supply of potash from Germany, necessary to make the blanks needed by American cut glass companies. 

You might find the ACGA's (American Cut Glass Association) web site helpful as far as spotting the shape of the broken vase - at the link below at the bottom of the page there are quite a few examples of American Brilliant period vases - shapes that were copied by pressed glass companies offering a more affordable alternative to cut glass of that period. 

http://www.cutglass.org/examples1/examples1.htm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KarenR

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 06:38:17 PM »
Looking at cut glass ads for Tuthill, Wicke & Co at 32 Park Place, NY sold Tuthill glass.  Tuthill's glass was said to be marketed to jewelers and higher dollar stores. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand