Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass Paperweights

Frank Eisner

<< < (2/11) > >>

Frank:
Colin Mayor placed Frank & Eric Eisner as having been in Newcastle. This is also my supported by the Jobling documentary evidence.

Another reference I have is that a former Waterford glassblower at Moncrieff had made swan friggers - I will see if I can get a name to that, c1950 would tie in with the information but it is still an assumption, I will also try and get info from Waterford.

It may be worthwhile getting hold of more details on the George Medal award but that would probably need to be done in a UK library so over to you Kevin ;-)

Anne:

--- Quote from: Frank ---Dave Moir added some more info:

--- Quote from: Dave Moir ---I also know that he developed the glass Tubing for Radar sets at the onset of WWII. I beleive he was awarded the George Medal for this work.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Frank, this doesn't add up...  the George Medal dates from 24 September 1940 and was awarded mainly for civilian acts of gallantry.

From the Medal warrant signed by George VI...

--- Quote ---The medal is intended primarily for civilians and award in Our military services is to be confined to actions for which purely military honours are not normally granted. ...   It is ordained that the Medal shall be awarded only for acts of great bravery.
--- End quote ---

The development of radar tubing was doubtless vital war work, but does not fall within the criteria given in the warrant, so if Eisner received a medal of some kind I would not think it to be a George Medal.

KevinH:
Anne's doubt is valid.

The George Medal was the next level down from the George Cross but, like that award, was given for "Heroism" & "Great Gallantry". However. during the early period following its creation as an award, there were some alterations to the criteria for receipt. I was hoping that: "(c) acts connected with civil defence" would cover what we are looking for.

But then ...

The full list of recipients of the George Medal from 1940 to 1983 is given in the book Dragons Can be Defeated by Major D V Henderson. I thoroughly browsed that book today and there is, sadly, no record of any Eisner as a recipient, as a "Uk national", a "Foreign national" or an "Honorary recipient".

I plan to check another book, simply called Radar, which is probably available at a library not too far from me. I am hoping that this one may provide some technical or development points that could link in to the research.

mjr:
Was this ebay item (just ended) an Eisner? .  Looking at the examples above and those in Bob Halls Scottish book it looked like it was - or ois it just Bohemian?   Is it all down to flourescence?

KevinH:
It has all the features of the majority of the ones attributed to Frank Eisner. A pity that a straight profile view was not shown (but I was happy with it from the two basic photos, so did not enquire further).

There seem to be quite a few of these weights around.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version