No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Selkirk paperweight I think it says emblem?  (Read 2407 times)

Offline Cazza

• Members
Selkirk paperweight I think it says emblem?
« on: September 27, 2008, 09:06:02 AM »
Can anyone tell me anything about this weight please, I think it reads Selkirk glass Scotland Emblem 72/500 it does have a selkirk label but not sure of the name?
Cazza

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
Re: Selkirk paperweight I think it says emblem?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 04:43:40 PM »
Yup, Emblem, 1979, I have a blue ground one.

Ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 12:02:35 PM »
Hi there,

I was searching the GMB for anything on Selkirk Emblem and I came across this thread. I decided to re-use it.

For a little context, Selkirk glass made a series of spaced millefiori with a picture cane on national Emblems for Scotland (Thistle - Blue translucent ground), England (Rose - Pink solid ground), Ireland (Shamrock - Green translucent ground) and Wales (I have never seen it and so do not know)

Recently, I have bought a Millefiori Emblem (rose) which should be same one as the one shown by Cazza but mine is on a white solid ground (see below - Sorry about the picture - I should have used a contrasting background). However, all the canes are the same (including the central rose picture cane). Can anyone share a light on this? I have to say the white ground is stunning and a much better one that the pink.   

For the record I have also attached a picture for the Millefiori Emblem for Scotland.

Any information on this series of weight would be appreciated.

Sophie

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Selkirk Emblem series paperweights
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 01:27:31 PM »
The Emblem series shows up in the catalogues from 1979 to 1982:
Scotland: 1979 and 1980, Thistle on blue ground;
England: 1980, Rose on white(!) ground (see attachment) - have never seen one on pink ground, apart from Cazza's;
Wales: 1981 and 1982, Daffodil on red ground (see attachment - courtesy of ebay-seller krapfe);
Ireland: 1982, Shamrock (on green ground) - just mentioned, no image ... I'm desperately looking for a good image!
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 02:30:24 PM »
Hi Wolf,

Many thanks for the reply/information.

I did not know that the catalogue image of Rose Emblem had a white ground (I only possess a few catalogues and all later ones). All the Rose Emblems I have seen prior to the one I posted here were pink. In fact, Alan (Tropdevin) sold a Rose Emblem on a pink ground recently on Ebay (see the link below).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Selkirk-Glass-LE-Emblem-millefiori-paperweight-cert-box-presse-papiers-/271947962246?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=frnPT8KUEYwbf4vl6iCCJmQK91g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

FYI - I have seen a Millefiori Emblem for Ireland on green with a Shamrock picture cane for sale on Ebay a while ago but I was the underbidder....

SophieB

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 03:47:46 PM »
Thank you for the info, Sophie.
I have given up searching ebay on a regular basis some time ago: their search results seem to have become completely unreproducible, making a structured search very ineffective >:(.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand