No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Richardson Water Jug - for Kristi - plus a general query  (Read 1351 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Richardson Water Jug - for Kristi - plus a general query
« on: September 27, 2008, 04:59:13 PM »
In another message I spoke of an all-over engraved water jug and Kristi asked if I would show it. So, here it is:
Main view
Close up of engraving
Registration mark

It is 10 7/8 inch (28.5cm) tall.

From memory (I can't find the auction catalogue in my new filing system!), the jug was described as "... possibly engraved by Hodgetts ...". That would, I believe, have been William J Hodgetts who was partnered with Richardson and Pargeter for one part of the Richardon dynasty.

The registration mark is for 12 Dec 1870, which ties in precisely with the registered design number 238052 which was for the ribbed shell parts for stems, handles and feet (see Gulliver, Victorian Decorative Glass British Designs 1850-1914, ISBN 0-7643-1597-8). The type of ribbed shell is exactly right for the handle and feet on my jug.

My question is this ...
Does anyone have any information to back up, or refute, the idea that William J. Hodgetts may have engraved my jug?
KevinH

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: Richardson Water Jug - for Kristi - plus a general query
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 05:46:53 PM »
Thank you, Kev!  That's lovely!  Such sweet little feet.  It's very valuable to me to see English examples of engraving; I feel like the references I have just skim the surface of what was made.  Much appreciated.  Sorry I can't help with any information about it.

Are registration marks like that common on English glass of the time, and does it refer to the foot and handle type rather than the piece itself, or is that incidental?  Does a lack of a mark signify anything?
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 02:47:19 AM »
Kristi — You are asking for a book on the subject, and there isn't one.   Your middle query has already been answered by Kevin, if you look in Gulliver.   The rest is too complicated for a short response.

For starters you will need Thompson, the Thompson supplement, the blue book, and Gulliver.   Then a decade of collecting, or better, dealing in, all types of British glass, including bottles.   Then you stand some chance of being able to write the book.   Please leave large margins for observations and corrections.   Put me down for two copies.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 05:39:13 PM »
Hee hee, I'm not going to write a book, not me, no how.  I sure wish there were one, though.  I don't have Gulliver and frankly can't afford it.  I love looking at engraved glass and pick up examples when I can get them cheap, but my income is extremely limited so I'm not even much of a collector.  I rely largely on looking at others' glass to satisfy my curiosity.  A poor substitute, but it's what I have to settle for.  I try to have a few examples of different types to examine closely, but have no 19th C English engraved glass that I know of.  It's a lot harder to get here than American and Bohemian stuff.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand