No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Recognize this mark on Bohemian-style engraved piece? Lobmeyr?  (Read 1892 times)

Offline krsilber

• Members
Recognize this mark on Bohemian-style engraved piece? Lobmeyr?
« on: October 02, 2008, 01:21:06 AM »
This is listed as having a Lobmeyr mark, but it appears to be different from the one I'm familiar with.  Anybody know it?  And has anybody seen this style of engraving documented as Lobmeyr?  I've seen a fair few forest scenes attributed to them, but never one that was marked, and no documentation of them having made any.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lobmyer-Artist-Signed-Engraved-Deer-Glass-Compote_W0QQitemZ320306787249QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320306787249&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Recognize this mark on Bohemian-style engraved piece? Lobmeyr?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 09:04:32 AM »
It does not match any Lobmeyr marks in Hartman, which should read J L B. Nor is that mark listed.

The signature is similar to E Vogel, decorator Haida, Bohemia first half of 20th century. Bonn's Rheinbach museum catalogue for 1988 by Günter Irmscher lists the E Vogel signature.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 04:56:36 PM »
Thanks, Frank and Marcus - E. Vogel it is!  I wondered whether one of the letters in the second mark was "H" and corresponded to Haida.  Maybe they are 2 Hs perpendicular to each other??  Meisterdorf is close enough that Vogel may have associated himself with that name, I suppose.

That's a nice array of Jagdgläser, Marcus, thanks for drawing my attention to it.  I've been to that site a few times, but don't remember those...obviously need to explore it more.

Frank, I thought the Lobmeyr mark was J L W, the W standing for Wien.  No?
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 06:11:59 PM »
Probably

Sklounion

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 08:35:21 PM »
I wondered whether one of the letters in the second mark was "H" and corresponded to Haida.  Maybe they are 2 Hs perpendicular to each other??  Meisterdorf is close enough that Vogel may have associated himself with that name, I suppose.
Hi
I'd be very cautious about speculation regarding the second mark. Better to ask Uwe Wolf or Jan Kilian to have a look at the item.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 01:46:33 AM »
Well, it's not something I'm going to buy anyway, I was just curious about it and wondered whether anyone here knew.  I don't think there's any danger in speculating, it's when drawing conclusions that one should be cautious.
Kristi

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand