No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Alexander Hardie Williamson screen-printed tumbler designs  (Read 4751 times)

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
Alexander Hardie Williamson screen-printed tumbler designs
« on: October 05, 2008, 07:29:49 PM »
Many months, wrist surgery and a new computer later, I'm finally getting to work on processing all the info and scans I gathered from the AHW collection at Broadfield House. One of the most amazing finds for me was some boxes full of artwork for the screen-printed tumblers. I thought I'd post a few, as they really help to illustrate the design and production process.

Many of the designs are built up of repeated motifs, photocopied and pasted to build up the overall design. The design then needs to be broken down into a number (sometimes only one, but usually two or three) of screens which will be applied in sequence to the tumbler. This isn't necessarily the same as the number of colours in the design, because colours that only appear in distinct horizontal bands around the glass can be applied to the same screen - a "split-screen" design. I've attached some pics to show what I mean. Presumably each screen cost money to apply, so reducing the number of screens to a minimum keeps costs down. Sherdley/ Ravenhead didn't do this, but some US companies divided their catalogues into one-screen, two-screen etc, presumably with a price differential applied.

I think this is one way in which AHW brought his experience in textile design to bear on the new media of glass and enamel. There are pictures in the collection of him and his wife Susan working together on screen-printed textiles in the studio at their house.
Heidi

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Alexander Hardie Williamson screen-printed tumbler designs
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 10:24:34 AM »
A split screen would certainly be quicker to apply than two separate screens, I assume it was automated, but imagine having a paint roller in each hand: up with each roller simultaneously to apply the paint, swop to the squeegees and back down again with both hands to squish the paint through the screen. Two colours done!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Alexander Hardie Williamson screen-printed tumbler designs
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 10:38:13 AM »
The technical term for repeating designs is 'Step and Repeat'.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand