No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Deco Two Handled Pressed Glass Floral Vase - Sowerby?  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Deco Two Handled Pressed Glass Floral Vase - Sowerby?
« on: October 05, 2008, 07:33:52 PM »
Another recent acquisition, a tall, two handled pressed glass vase with a stylised floral pattern.

I've been trying to find the maker but with little success thus far. The closest pattern I've seen was in a (rather poor) Pressed Glass Collector's Club publication 'Forgotten Glass, Vol. 1' where a similar loking vase is shown described as a Sowerby 'Dora' vase, however, there are a number of significant differences, the vase shown has a plain rim in contrast to the slightly lobed rim on my vase, and the handles have a raised pattern whereas on my vase they are smooth and undecorated. I also do not trust the information given in the book as no references are given and there are a number of misattributions and typographical errors.

Height is approx. 9 1/2 inches (24 cm) diameter at rim is 5 1/2 inches (14 cm). The vase has been quite heavily fire polished. The footrim has been ground and mirror polished. The tops of the handles have a distinctive stylised leaf shape where they meet the body of the vase.

Any information is much appreciated  ;).

Thanks,
Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Deco Two Handled Pressed Glass Floral Vase - Sowerby?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 08:15:11 PM »
Stephen — Yes, definitely Dora by Sowerby.   I don't know the pattern number.   See Dodsworth, BGbtW, item 167.  Roger found it in a 1936 Sowerby trade catalogue.   One of my own favourites.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 08:40:48 PM »
Thanks Bernard, good to have it confirmed. Dodsworth sounds like a very interesting book, I'll have to see if I can arrange an inter library loan, or put it on my Christmas wish list.

Thanks again,
Steven

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 11:12:48 PM »
Steven — My sincere apologies for my appalling bad manners.   I know the problem well, having an unusual surname.

Dodswoth, BGbtW is one of my few 5-star books on British glass, warranting three copies, one in my travelling book box, one on the shelf, and one for when the first wears out, which it is starting to do already, despite a tough binding.   Very few errors.   Ignore the section on Webb Corbett acid-etched marks and their dates.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 06:40:50 AM »
Snap (although I seem to have the other variant) - I have to say it's much better quality than a lot of Sowerby stuff. Thank you Bernard and Steven. I think I need Dodsworth. Do either of you two think this is Sowerby as well?

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 09:07:23 AM »
Steven & Christine — Ooops, I got it all badly wrong, didn't I?

It's Christine's vase that is is pictured in BGbtW, that I've had about eight or so examples through my hands, and that is Sowerby's Dora.

I've never seen your vase before, Steven.

I wonder who made it?   Unlikely to have been Sowerby, from what Adam told us about their post-war mouldmaking capabilities.

I wonder if Pamela, Marcus, or Ivo will recognise it.

Sorry about that  :spls:

Bernard C.  8)

ps — Looks like no-one will ever surpass my record here for getting it wrong, at least not until several years after I start pushing up daisies!

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 12:27:40 PM »
Just to add to the confusion here's another variant on the Dora vase theme.

I'm fairly sure this one is Sowerby as the mould details on the handle and body seem to be an exact match. However, unlike Christine's example and the one shown in British Glass Between the Wars this has a scalloped rather than plain rim.

Christine's and the book example are presumably both pre-war given the use of acid frosting. My new one could well be later so perhaps the moulds were changed or replaced at some time?

Apologies for the phone pic, I'll try to get some better photographs soon.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 03:29:57 PM »
It's also that watery late pale blue

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 05:25:51 PM »
quote from the late Bernard Cavelot   ..     "Looks like no-one will ever surpass my record here for getting it wrong, at least not until several years after I start pushing up daisies!"

a comment of remarkable humility from Bernard - not many of us admit to such a record of prodigious errors.            I accused him once of being an expert in the field of British pressed glass, and he took me to task severely for such an accolade, saying he didn't remotely consider himself as such  -  yet I think after a lifetime of handling such material you'd be hard pressed to have bettered him.
Well, the years are now passing, and I think there's a few of us are getting it wrong quite adequately Bernard :)

I looked very briefly last evening at the Thistlewood CD Rom catalogue 'George V to Eliz. II, but wasn't aware of seeing this pattern, so presumably missed it, but it may well be a pattern that occurs elsewhere than this catalogue.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 06:03:54 PM »
I don't think it's there but it is documented - I think in a catalogue reproduced by the Pressed Glass club

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand