No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Multi-Colored Bowl ?  (Read 5185 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Murano Multi-Colored Bowl ?
« on: October 15, 2008, 03:59:08 AM »
Hi, I just got this today.  Am hoping that is Murano (?)  About 7 inches wide, and 3 inches deep.  Any info to it?  Marker?  Age?  I thought I had seen something like this before.....somewhere....here maybe?

TIA as always.
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Murano Multi-Colored Bowl ?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 11:29:32 AM »
I agree Murano, quite a common shape but with more complex patterning than usual. There are some more on here somewhere

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 01:59:55 AM »
I have one with a similar shape (somewhat more open at the top) but not as colourful. In fact, it's all its fault that I'm on this board  ;D

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10017

Carolyn

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 06:37:15 AM »
And here's the link showing Carolyn's original post and the bowl I had

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
I agree Murano, quite a common shape but with more complex patterning than usual. There are some more on here somewhere

Thanks Lustrousstone and Carolyn:

They do look exactly the same in design. I know I saw one somewhere else, and I am gaggling  (I mean) googling around the Net to see it I can find it...

Thxs very much  ;)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 06:05:59 AM »
I have been rooting (and rooting) around here, and finally found this link. 
http://www.moniquesglassboutique.com/items/605126/item605126store.html#item

Mind you - the bowl style looks the same, but not sure of the attribution (?) but I knew I saw it somewhere else too...

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 05:03:08 PM »
Spent a bit of time in a antique "mall" yesterday (desperately looking for xmas pressies) and found a bowl like ours. Somewhat. Not cased, single colour (yellowish), but with the clear scoops/handles. Clearly acid etched as Chalet Canada. Now the debate is...we have always been certain that ours are Murano. And we know that Chalet employed expats of Murano. Therefore, can we assume that the less intricate forms are Canadian and our more elaborate forms (with canes, different layers, etc) are from the original in Murano?  :huh:

Carolyn

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 06:59:51 PM »
Hi Carolyn.

Did you buy it, and able to post a pic of it?  Would like to see...

TIA

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 01:04:01 AM »
Hi Carolyn.

Did you buy it, and able to post a pic of it?  Would like to see...

TIA

No I didn't as it is not something I wanted to collect. Went back to the same antique mall the next week and saw three others. I will hit fleabay and see if I can find anything like it. Much simpler than either yours or mine with only a single clear colour (and I think there were bubbles).

Later that night...

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-BLUE-CHALET-MURANO-LARGE-SOMMERSO-BUBBLE-BOWL_W0QQitemZ230309308055QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item230309308055&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-CANADIAN-CHALET-STYLE-ART-GLASS-BOWL-81059_W0QQitemZ250331345140QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item250331345140&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Carolyn

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 08:34:51 AM »
Spent a bit of time in a antique "mall" yesterday (desperately looking for xmas pressies) and found a bowl like ours. Somewhat. Not cased, single colour (yellowish), but with the clear scoops/handles. Clearly acid etched as Chalet Canada. Now the debate is...we have always been certain that ours are Murano. And we know that Chalet employed expats of Murano. Therefore, can we assume that the less intricate forms are Canadian and our more elaborate forms (with canes, different layers, etc) are from the original in Murano?  :huh:

Carolyn

I think your assumption is correct. Chalet didn't make bowls like the one posted by antiquerose. But complicating the issue is that there's a fair amount of Czech glass in Canada that also looks like Chalet, but which only had paper labels, now lost. Much of this gets attributed to Chalet, even the large, hot-worked vases designed by Jan Beranak at Skrdlovice. So without the Chalet sandblasted on the bottom, attributions have to be made cautiously. The two examples Carolyn posted are good examples of where caution is needed as they could possibly be Czech.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand