No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Does Anyone Know this vase?  (Read 2083 times)

Offline BONYTONY

• Members
Does Anyone Know this vase?
« on: October 15, 2008, 08:41:56 PM »
Hi
 If there's anyone that recognises this vase I would be grateful. Its 3 part mould blown with three lines that converge at the base-I have a feeling it's Sklo Union 1960's...is this correct? Borske Sklo? Perhaps someone may know which firm and if there's a known designer. It's 10" high. This is my 1st post-Thanks. Tony

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Does Anyone Know this vase?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 09:35:22 PM »
i have something very similar in orange with a Bohemia sticker - so your suspicions may be correct.  But I could not tell you year - designer or factory. Perhaps someone will...
and welcome to the board  :thup:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BONYTONY

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 11:12:02 PM »
Hi Ivo
Thanks. That makes sense and kind of you to take the trouble getting back to me. I feel it slightly resembles the round "large olives" vases with graded spherical optical lenses made by Borske Sklo in the 6o's but more architectural. Any chance you could post a pic of your orange one? If not don't worry & thanks for your welcome. Cheers. Tony.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 05:26:39 AM »
This is not the one with the sticker - but somewhere I have a straightsided one of identical colour with a clear handle AND the mentioned Bohemia sticker.

Offline BONYTONY

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 08:44:32 AM »
Hi Ivo-Thanks. It does certainly seem similar. Yours also links to Geoffrey Baxter's Whitefriars cased textured vases with their clear  cased bases. How intriguing! If you come across the straight sided one, the Bohemia sticker may of course indicate a date. Yours looks 1960's/early 70's at a guess. If you come across the straight sided one do bare me in mind-Cheers & many thanks again- Tony

Offline BONYTONY

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 08:49:06 AM »
.....sorry Ivo I forgot to ask- does your orange vase have a cut and polished top like mine and are there any mould marks down the side or meeting at the base in a 4 line 'cross' or 3 line mark?-Cheers Tony

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 11:18:50 AM »
sorry i got it completely wrong again. I cannot retrieve the orange vase right now but it is of superior quality, with a nicely finished rim - so maybe it is a Baxter after all. WF glass is not found or recognised on the continent. The Crystalex single colour amber vase I retrieved from the attic follows here - it has a cut and polished rim of a more perfunctory nature. The pattern continues on the bottom, there are no mould lines. The height is 21 cms.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 12:13:48 PM »
Ivo's handled thingy looks as if it might be related to these vases. Keep reading, the thread improves further down

Offline BONYTONY

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 12:54:57 PM »
Thanks Ivo and Chrsitine. Here are some more pics of my 10" green footed vase showing more clearly the oval & circular moulded pattern as opposed to diamond. You'll also notice the 3 part mould lines clearly visible on the base which originally made me think Borske Slko's, 60's 'Olive' vase which have a 4 line mould base mark.

Although the green vase is clearly not cased I rather suspect the same manufacturer as the orange vase which also has the oval & circular shaped moulded pattern even though it is cased.

Ivo your lovely orange cased vase is intriguing! An unknown Baxter design or another manufacturer of the period(60's). I'm intrigued -any chance of a photograph of its the base would be very much appreciated as my family were in Whitefriars. I would love to see the base and any other pics of it.

Yes I agree Christine-Ivo's handled vessel seems to closely resemble that pineapple vase with diamond moulding. Cheers! Tony.

Offline BONYTONY

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 12:55:53 PM »
Here's the base mould marks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum