No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass vase with applied trails/feet; Harrach or S&W? Other?  (Read 5439 times)

Offline Galle

• Members
Glass vase with applied trails/feet; Harrach or S&W? Other?
« on: November 11, 2008, 07:41:13 PM »
Has anyone seen anything like this? The applied feet wrap up around the piece and merge into the rim and are amber, blue, and green. There is some uranium in the green and blue, and some amount of (manganese?) in the amber, because under strong black light, the blue and green glass glows green (slightly) and the amber glows orange (slightly).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Glass vase with applied trails/feet; Harrach or S&W? Other?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 07:52:39 PM »
I doubt there is any uranium in your pretty little vase, uranium never glows faintly. Faint green may be manganese and I think orange is cadmium. That blue and amber combinations seems common on Harrach items

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Galle

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 08:02:38 PM »
Hmmm I never thought about that (the uranium issue)... I just never realized that any other thing caused a greenish glow.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:36:08 PM »
I often see these types of pieces called Moser Harrach. Personally I believe yours is Harrach. The amber is paler than many of the vases, but the stems and flowers look Harrach to me.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Galle

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 10:56:15 PM »
Thanks, Anita - I've been leaning towards Harrach myself. I didn't know if S&W ever did anything similar. :)

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 11:14:03 PM »
If it were just a little uranium, might it not glow faintly?  Although I've seen green glass formulas with manganese, it doesn't seem common, and the colorless Bohemian glass I have doesn't glow green.  I don't know if that's because they used different decolorants or what.  The colorless glass I have that glows green rather than a yellowish green glows really quite faintly; I'm not sure you'd be able to even see it in green glass.  You can only add so much manganese before you start getting purple.

The glow color of glass is probably more complex than many glass enthusiasts (myself included!) have made it out to be.  There are so many confusing factors, such as multiple fluorescent substances and the role of absorption of light by some materials.  You could have one substance emitting light and another absorbing it.  Or contamination could influence things, as in this little snippet from this article:
"However, there was a problem, most known fluorescing metal oxide dopants [I wish they said what they were!] failed to produce fluorescence in our  glass. This turned out to be caused by impurities from the ingredients used to make the glass and from the  inexpensive silica/alumina crucibles we were then using."

Geez, I see a quick mention of fluorescent glass, and can't stop myself - blab, blab, blab!
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 07:53:11 AM »
No Kristi, the uranium glow is quite distinctive but quite difficult to describe. It's almost like the difference between an LED fairy light bulb and an old fashioned tungsten one. The two greens are quite different shades, so even if the the level of uranium is low you can tell the difference (what you see with lower levels of uranium is perhaps best described as a colour wash rather than thick blob; you know it's the same bright green colour). Even with an LED light you get a reaction 2ft away. For the faint green glows you have to get up close and personal and possibly in the dark. Green and flint (clear) glass that has the faint glow is not uncommon here in the UK but it is often early/mid 20th century stuff. I spend many happy hours checking stuff out in my searching.

If Galle's green contained uranium, I would expect a bright glow for that shade; if the blue contained uranium you would be able to see a hint of green in the photo. It is just too blue.

Hope this makes sense  :spls:

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 09:14:11 AM »
I have uranium glass and know what the glow looks like.  Pieces from Dave Peterson's collection vary in intensity.

Green and flint (clear) glass that has the faint glow is not uncommon here in the UK but it is often early/mid 20th century stuff. I spend many happy hours checking stuff out in my searching.

That's interesting, I've often wondered about that.  Is it a green glow or a greenish yellow?  What about older English pieces?
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Galle

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 06:53:48 PM »
I'll see if I can capture the effect with my camera - it's a little tricky. :)

Offline Galle

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 06:59:35 PM »
I also wanted to say regarding the glow that I have noticed that Loetz Creta glass (Creta Rusticana, for example) has the same type of "slight" glow - if the black light is held right up to the piece, you can see a distinctive glow, but it is nowhere near the brightness of, say, Oceanik.

I also have some examples of clear or slightly purple glass that produce the same effect - nothing from a distance, but up close, the green starts to show.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand