No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vetro Artistico Veneziano  (Read 14510 times)

Anonymous

Vetro Artistico Veneziano
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 07:34:16 PM »
Bingo !

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 08:10:59 AM »
Quote from: "Ivo"
as you know there is no glass production in Venice itself, only refineries. The glass makers are concentrated in Murano.

When we were in Venice the first time (?? 5 years ago?) we saw a large glass display centre (can't remember the name, sorry  :roll: ) which had a furnace in the entrance, where they put on a display of glass working to attract the tourists in.  

It was in fact a very small glassworking operation, with a massive showroom of glass which had been made in Murano (or maybe even in China?   :twisted: ) upstairs. But there was definitely a young man there making those generic horses and gondolas.  Whether they ever made anything more complicated I can't say, but it was glass , and it was produced in Venice!  :shock:

Leni
Leni

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 10:55:55 AM »
"Vetro Artistico Veneziano" and "Vetri Artistici Muranesi Societa per Azioni"

No relation, VAMSA as it was mentioned was in business during the 30's - 40's and it's been mostly represented by Barbini's "Sfumatto" technique. "Vetro Artistico Veneziano" is considerably newer and I dont think in any way related to Barbini.

Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 12:21:53 AM »
Love your bowl Peter

I just know it had a 'Made in Murano Italy, Vetro Artistico Veneziano' label on - you are right, this company is c1960s - 1970s I don't understand Ivo's VAMSA thing

My Uncle remembers buying a piece of this glass in the 1960s - I mean it is so psychedelic - the linking factor is the shapes, aventurine and often silver foil together - their single coloured items were mixed with a glitter substance like aventurine - I don't know the exact process

The label says it all - I have some I am looking at right now - says 'Made in Murano, Italy' why is Ivo talking about China again :?  :?

I don't think they were an importer like G Hardy - the label feels right and the range of goods fit well into a general design pattern

I don't know any exact info about the company, I do think that I put up enough pieces all with same label to explain a lot of glass that is being attributed to other companies - I work on the principle of if it looks exactly like it, it is it

Hand Made Genuine - 'Genuine' would they lie :shock:  :wink:  :?:

I have talked to eBayers over years selling same items with the same label - they usually just call it Murano even when you can see the label - still it confirms this glass is not that unusual or rare

Adam D555
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 07:02:57 AM »
just because two companies have the words "art glass" in the name does not mean they're related in any way, that is the point of the above discussion.  

And in general terms Murano glass is sold in Venice - but not exclusively.  Labels that mention Venice in stead of Murano are often dealer or refinery labels.  Only when the label states "made in Murano" can you be reasonably sure the piece was actually made there.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2005, 03:41:12 AM »
Ivo

The label says - 'Made in Murano'

I am lost - I presume we are still talking about 'Vetro Artistico Veneziano' bowls and their labels

I started this thread with (yes I know it's everyoneā€™s board) some simple evidence, a lot of bowls with the same label on them, that is the point, Ivo where you are going with this I just can't see, maybe you are reacting to a debate that has risen from the original thread, I am confused by that and was just trying to put it back on topic
So if you run into glass with a "Veniceā€¯ sticker - think decorator, think Chinese import, be suspicious.
- I mean you seemed to be talking about 'Vetro Artistico Veneziano' in the posts between you and Peter when you said this

I agree with you about some labels indicating agent or dealer - you mention this is the case if the label mentions just Venice, but that is not the case here

Are you making a point on something else, cos the point of this discussion, of the thread is about glass made in Murano?

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 01:41:59 AM »
I thought it may be interesting to revive this thread.

I have spotted this bowl on eBay - 'Vetro Artistico Veneziano' label same as my pieces (ones I sold) - also same shape and decoration.

Interesting as the label is most likely common but most sellers don't often show it in auction listings.

auction_link

Adam P

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 08:22:16 AM »
Just my own contribution which may be way off kilter, but I have always understood that "Vetro Artistico Veneziano" was a label used by an export company who worked with several of the Murano houses including AVEM, Fratelli Toso and Salviati at various times in the past.
Maybe if Alex in Venice picks up on this he could be able to throw some more light.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006, 12:06:43 PM »
Thanks Paul

That is my feeling as well - it would be great to get more confirmation from your friend.

The exporter must have concentrated on particular OTT (foil, avventurina, the lot) forms - of the many I have handled there is always this similarity of 'glitz'

Adam

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2006, 12:29:12 PM »
Reading this thread is giving me a headache!
 :evil:  Adding to the misery: behold the Vetro "egg" paperweight in a tortoise-shell pattern.  Does this provide any clues as to who used the infamous label?  (I haven't a clue as to who made the egg, or when.)
Thanks,
Charles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand