No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Long glass dish with blue inner - what could it be?  (Read 928 times)

Offline Kerrykez

• Members
Long glass dish with blue inner - what could it be?
« on: December 02, 2008, 03:40:27 PM »
This long dish is clear with a blue inner colour.   It measures just over 12" and is about 5 1/2" at its highest point.  It is quite slim in width.   The base has a slim polished edge but is ground out in the middle like a pontil.  It is deep blue in colour.   I have no idea if this is old or new.  I wonder if it is Scandinavian??  Any help??  Thanks. :huh:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassaddict

• Members
Re: Long glass dish with blue inner - what could it be?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 06:30:29 PM »
I had something similar which was discussed here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,8594.msg72122.html#msg72122
Hil  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 07:43:22 AM »
I've got a few pieces like this, as the style was widely adopted. Not all the Coquille pieces have the white line. I have a small piece with only a small teardrop of blue on the bottom. It, like all the other Coquille pieces I have, is signed. Another piece is signed Magnor, which I'd have thought was a possibility for this one except for the ground out pontil. I also have a couple of pieces of what I think are Murano like this, including one with a very dark blue centre in the middle of a more royal blue, as described in the other thread. The Murano pieces are heavier (thicker) than the Scandinavian. A couple of Canadian companies also made similar pieces. Your piece looks like very thick glass with the ends even thicker having being pulled out. If so, I'd guess Murano.

From what I've read, there were a few glass workers who moved between Murano and Scandinavia (and Canada, for that matter), but, more importantly, the designers and managers were aware of what was being made elsewhere.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 10:12:34 PM »
I looked through my glass again as I thought I had something that was similar to your piece, but which I couldn't locate last night. I found it this morning. It has the ground out section on the bottom and the blue looks similar. It also has a white line round the blue. However, as you can see in one of the photographs, it's engraved "sea" and then three letters I can't make out. I'm presuming it's Sea Glasbruk of Sweden, which I would say is a pretty good contender now.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Kerrykez

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 08:06:08 AM »
Hi David, thanks for your messages.  Only just picked them up as I have been busy on other things.   You may have inadvertently helped me on my new query.  I am going to put a vase on here today which is engraved SEA/25.  I hadn't heard of Sea Glasbruk so I am now wondering if this vase is made by them.  It is really nice - take a look if you get the chance.  Thanks again.  Kerry.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 08:40:25 AM »
In the list of contenders, by all means include Bayel of France who had a considerable output of these and similar items.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand