No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Dino Martens piece?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Missc

• Members
Is this a Dino Martens piece?
« on: December 29, 2008, 04:44:40 AM »
Hi everyone. This is one of the very last pieces that I bought on E-bay. I have permission to use the photos as my own (to get that out of the way, I sent everyone e-mails and got yes on every one thankfully!). Anyway, I got this piece listed as a Venini piece. Here is the link until it goes away. Then I will use the pics. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400015365096&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

I got it the other day while I was away. It is not large. It's only about 5" in diameter (I need to measure it) but inside it has spots and it looks a lot like this one inside:
http://www.trocadero.com/moltabellaglass/items/447144/en2.html

It is iridescent on the outside. I wonder about the outside lip as it is thicker that these but these listed ones are much larger.

Finally, what is "a mace"? Any help on identifying this would be great.
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!
Lisa

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Is this a Dino Martens piece?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 08:40:14 AM »
Lisa:

I saw this piece for sale and wondered about it. "A mace" is Murano slang for "with spots. " Marc Heiremans writes of them, "Various forms of this rather commercial series exist, from bold to boring." He pictures some on pages 57-8 of the Martens book. They don't have model numbers. Pina has some a mace bowls pictured on p.155 of "Italian Glass" valued at $300-$600. Some of the vases seem to go for very high prices, which surprise me. I like them, but they're nowhere near "Oriente."

All that said, I can't see spots in your bowl, although the spots are more obvious in some than in others. The irridescence dominates the photographs. I notice the seller calls it Venini. He can be occasionally quite optimistic, although, to be fair, I've bought some very nice pieces from him, including a very big square Barbino scavo bowl.

On balance, if you can see spots, I wouldn't rule out a mace and Martens.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Missc

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 08:30:04 PM »
David, yes there are spots in it. They are like clouds, brownish, not solid but transluscent. The photos don't show them which is why I put the other example up so people could see the spots in that one that are very much like the one in my piece. I sure wish I had a camera. Anyway, that is why I thought it was a Martens piece. Also, there is a distinct "starlike" pattern in the bottom of that bowls that I noticed in the pieces on the otehr website too. That is why I took a gamble on the piece and paid what I did. It was one of the pieces I paid the most for. I agree that they are not as lovely as the Oriente pieces I have seen but those are just too expensive to even consider. It goes nicely in my eclectic family room though!

Anyone else with some thoughts?
Thanks!
Lisa

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 02:04:05 AM »
Lisa: 

Excellent news that the bowl has its spots.They're made by dropping hot glass on to the partially formed bowl and then adding at least another layer of glass. That means that the spots are often not that precisely edged.  It's definitely worth a $130 chance in my estimation, especially when you compare what some stores are asking. You're doing very well! Perhaps I should start thinking of hiring you on commission, as you're doing better than me.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Missc

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 08:53:22 PM »
David, I am glad you think I have a good eye. That was one of my goals! I actually wish I could own some type of high end shop (small) that catered to finding and selling lovely pieces like these. But, this economy? Ha! I have really enjoyed getting the pieces I have. Sure wish I had more money to invest and also places to put them in the house! I am trying to work out a system where I rotate them in seasons...

I am one of those people who would walk away from my job (teacher) in 2 seconds if I could find sometihng else that I enjoyed (top thing), would pay similarly, and allow me my home (and occasionally money to travel with). Really hate it but work like a dog at it anyway-which is why I have no life most of the time. At least I have some caring in me as I do care if the students do well and often suffer the consequences of having it thrown back at me. But, that is life! It could be a lot worse!

Well, I have a couple of other pieces I am wondering about. One I need more pics of and hope to borrow a camera soon to get shots of it. It's one I think is actually a generic piece, unknown maker. Talk to you soon! Thanks and have a great NIGHT!
Lisa

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand