No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Any ABP Experts out there? Cut Pitcher  (Read 1863 times)

Offline KarenR

• Members
Re: Any ABP Experts out there? Cut Pitcher
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 01:56:39 AM »
eGlass - There is much more to the Home Cut Glass Company catalog than it just being the nicest catalog many collectors have never left a fingerprint on.   

The wedge shaped piece is cut in a Harvard pattern.  Dorothy Daniel attributes the origin of Harvard to Pairpoint and states it is not as old as Russian but older than prism cuttings and any of pinwheel designs.  She shows a punch bowl from a Hawkes scrapbook in the same pattern as the wedge shaped piece but I have no other reference than this for Hawkes Harvard.  Kristi has better Pairpoint references than I do but it's possible the blank can be identified but not the cutting house with Pairpoint having been a blank supplying company. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: Any ABP Experts out there? Cut Pitcher
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 10:36:39 PM »
Eglass - thanks for the thought, anyway!  I'm pretty sure it's not Pairpoint.  My best guess at the moment is Hawkes for the cutting, but it would help to know who did the blank.  One day I'll find out!  Maybe.

Just an aside:  hard to see it clearly, but it looks like a pattern very similar to Harvard is shown in Hadjamach, pg. 372, attributed to "Stourbridge."  The only difference I can see is that the crosshatching runs horizontal/vertical rather than diagonally.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand