No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is it a Bagley? - ID = Sowerby 2631 pattern  (Read 2594 times)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: is it a Bagley?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 07:16:40 AM »
No, Stohzle?

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 08:31:44 AM »
I don't recall the pattern no. or name but this pattern is definitely Sowerby. Glen, Adam or Bernard may be able to add more.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 10:49:51 AM »
 :clap: thank you, Steven - traced it on Glen's Sowerby III, pattern # 2631
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 10:51:15 AM »
Pamela — Yes, it's Sowerby 2631, missing its plinth and 2487 Star flower holder.   With the Turned over rim this version could have been referenced T2631 — check this in Glen's CDs.

Bernard C.  8)

Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 09:31:34 PM »
Thank you, Bernard! would it have come with a plinth and flower star if only 8cms high?
Pamela

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 07:23:25 AM »
Probably not  :chky:

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 12:56:47 PM »
Christine — I disagree.   Here in the UK, generally only Sowerby's "as-moulded" vases, i.e. celery vase or toothpick holder shape, were sold either on their own or with both flower holder and plinth as standard.   T-ed and other reshaped vases were sold with both fittings as standard.   This also seems to have been the case in the Empire/Commonwealth.   I don't know what was standard for Sowerby's exports to mainland Europe where plinths were less frequently used.

You will notice my "as standard" qualification.   The only rule was to sell and make a profit.   Trade buyers with major spending power could specify any combination they wanted, but I don't believe nonstandard configurations were that common.

Note one oddity.   Bagley 1+2 clock garnitures were not issued with flower holders as standard, according to their PG ads.   So a Bagley clock garniture with flower holders offered now is likely to be the inspiration of a creative mix-and-match dealer.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 07:49:08 PM »
Looking at the catalogues, the plinths and blocks don't seem to be small enough at about 2.5 in (6+ cm) for a block and 3.5 in (8+ cm) for a plinth (I can't see them clearly enough) for something so small; it's only violet vase/toothpick holder sized. Did they come small enough?

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 11:45:03 PM »
Christine — Yes, they did.   From my own experience I guess that something over three quarters of the smallest flower holders were either smashed or thrown out with the dead flowers.   Safest to blame mother-in-law.  ;D

Bernard C.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand