No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible ' Powell ' Epergne ??????  (Read 822 times)

Offline Patrick

• Members
Possible ' Powell ' Epergne ??????
« on: February 20, 2009, 06:45:39 PM »
Hi,
I have just acquired the epergne 10 inch high with marks to the base ...... London 1888 John Newton Mappin.

I have to do some research on it and hopefully the Powell sales ledgers may show Mappin as a customer.
The price I paid was reasonable and I just love it regardless of any possible connections to Powell.

If anyone knows of similar pieces please let me know.

regards, Patrick.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Possible ' Powell ' Epergne ??????
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 08:09:59 PM »
John Mappin would appear to be Mappin & Webb, http://www.mappin-and-webb.co.uk/history2.html, maybe they can help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Patrick

• Members
Re: Possible ' Powell ' Epergne ??????
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 08:56:32 PM »
Hi Christine,

Thanks for that link and I will get in touch with them but I suspect that they do not have any of the old records.

It is possible that this is a rare piece as no one else has come up with possibilities .

I spoke to Nigel and he looked at it but he is currently unable to post here due to computer problems. With out the Mappin , London connection he thought it might be German.
 Lets hope I can find some more information because it is certainly an unusual shape.
Regards,
          Patrick.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand