No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this comport new or old?  (Read 793 times)

Offline tonyatl

• Members
Is this comport new or old?
« on: February 25, 2009, 07:30:45 AM »
i believe that this item is properly called a comport. it has a concical bowl with everted rim sitting on a pedestal base whose trunk has three free form glass rings attached. the bowl is full of lots of bubbles tiny and not so tiny. the bowl also has a distinct green cast. looking at the top bowl from the top, there are distinct concentric rings visible which remind me of tree rings in a way. on the underside of the rim they are tactiley sensible.

my question is, is there any way to determine if this is new or old glass? if so i would like to be able to date it to within 10-25 years of production. it could be art glass recently produced but on the other hand it might be old. was hoping for some assistance in determining age and if there was enough evidence to identify a maker.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Is this comport new or old?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:37:29 AM »
I don't think it is old. The foot looks too narrow and too round. For an old piece you'd expect foot and bowl to be more in balance, as a larger footprint gives more stability. I'm also a bit weary of the "recycled" colour and the even bubbles. Is there a pontil mark?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 07:39:19 AM »
Can we see a picture of the bottom of the foot please, and what size is it? My instinct says new(ish) aiming to look old, but that could be completely wrong

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tonyatl

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 07:58:25 AM »
i have included a close up of base both top and bottom view the latter which may need to be retaken. there is a pontil mark which is rough at it circumference. the foot diameter is 4 1/2"

the bubbles are indeed uneven - there are lots of very small ones punctuated with sizeable bubbles sensible at the surface....

my suspicion as well is that it is newish trying to look old but wanted to vet that thought with others.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand