No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this decanter a reproduction?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline glasslover

• Members
Is this decanter a reproduction?
« on: March 25, 2009, 04:56:51 PM »
Hello, I am a novice collector and new member looking for some expert input regarding a decanter I recently purchased on Ebay.
This morning while reading through the Murano labels discussion I saw a photo posted by CathyG of a decanter that looks very similar to the one I just purchased. It is a swirled a canne decanter by Cenedese.
After having studied the photo, I am afraid that mine is a reproduction.
Could someone help me out with this? You can find the photos on Ebay-the item number is 180337321465.
Thank you in advance for your time.....

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Is this decanter a reproduction?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 05:21:45 PM »
Even if it were a "reproduction" it would still be a superb decanter for which 10 bidders fought desperately - so you can rest assured it is a good piece.  It is not a cheap piece to make, not then, not now.

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 12:41:23 PM »
i think its a beauty, i would certainly be happy if it was in my collection.
An obvious question, but is there any wear to the base, if so how much ?
martin

Offline glasslover

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 02:03:32 PM »
Thank you both very much for looking and responding. There is very little wear to the bottom, just some barely discernable scratches along the ridge around the pontil indentation. While I was dubious about most of the spectacular description on the auction posting, I thought I was sure that it was a Murano piece. I have read most of the available material on fakes from Taiwan and China.
I wish I had something to contribute to discussions, but for now I will just have to tag along and pay attention. Thank you again.

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 06:19:59 PM »
pretty much what i do, its taken nearly 2 years for me to be brave enough to offer an opinion.
Its taken that time for me to feel I have a certain level of knowledge. silly really but thats me.  :chky:
martin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand