No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fake Lalique Vase...  (Read 4736 times)

Offline Glasshound

• Members
    • Glasshound
Fake Lalique Vase...
« on: March 30, 2009, 05:17:24 PM »
Check out this link on EBAY:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130296133174

I see these pop up every once in a while on EBAY and they always seem to fetch a decent price for an obvious fake.

I've seen them in gloss black and I have one at home in light yellow with satin finish (without the fake signature of course)

Anyone know the history on this mould? i thought it originated in the U.S. ????  :huh:

/Blair

Please note the comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board.
American and European Art Glass, Antique to Contemporary
http://www.glasshound.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Fake Lalique Vase...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 05:24:08 PM »
The sig is shocking - maybe it is a ChrisM victim trying to flog off his shame?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 05:55:38 PM »
A few months ago, I showed an opalescent dot vase on GMB that turned out to be a Crate & Barrel piece. This seller offered one in the same line a couple of weeks ago that had a Barovier & Toso sig on bottom. He/she must know someone that passes along altered glass. One has to be very careful. Most eBay sellers have been very good IME, but there is the occasional one that calls for caution.

BTW, the "BT" vase didn't sell. :thup: A similar one that was signed a few months ago went for over $700. It is a $10-20 vase. Thanks for posting the vase, Blair. I think a lot more people than we realize read the group. You may have saved someone a lot of money.

Please note the comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Glasshound

• Members
    • Glasshound
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 06:46:14 PM »
BTW, the "BT" vase didn't sell. :thup: A similar one that was signed a few months ago went for over $700. It is a $10-20 vase. Thanks for posting the vase, Blair. I think a lot more people than we realize read the group. You may have saved someone a lot of money.

The "Highest" bidder retracted his/her bid of $88 US. just 20 mins ago...maybe they read this thread!  ;D

/Blair

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 06:56:48 PM »
The "Highest" bidder retracted his/her bid of $88 US. just 20 mins ago...maybe they read this thread!  ;D

/Blair

WooHOO! I am so glad to see that. If nothing happens the rest of the day, it will still be a good day now.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Glasshound

• Members
    • Glasshound
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 04:10:07 PM »
well..it looks like some poor sucker paid $104 US. for this crappy little vase.... :spls:

/Blair

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 10:13:29 PM »
For the sake of my poor head which is trying to get to grips with genuine and faked/copied items, can someone explain what to look for in fakes please? Why is this one wrong - is it just the signature that's not right or is there something else that can be seen from the piece itself? 

(I should add that I have never seen close up or handled Lalique glass so have no terms of reference for it.)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 10:22:52 PM »
Being silly here, but true for me -- My rule for larger Lalique, Galle, and LC Tiffany vases is that if I can afford them, they must be fake.  :D
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 11:11:06 PM »
Hi

Hard to keep this short -but I'll try

Simplist answer is as Rene Lalique is pressed glass there are only a limited number of moulds and hence vases, glasses or whatever. There is a book by Felix Marcilhac that has in it all the Rene Lalique pieces. If it isn't in there (and this one isn't), then 99.99% certain its wrong. Alas the book is very expensive.

Like with many people there are only a very limited list of different R Lalique signatures (varying by date and production technique)- all his vases should be signed -alas often these signatures, good and bad are added spuriously to non Lalique Vases (this signature resembles none of them)

Third most important factor is all Rene lalique vases are made from demi-crystal -6% lead -slightly greyish with a tinge of palest purple -after a bit you get a feel for this glass. (Actually this you cannot tell from the picture)

Also, after a bit, you get an eye for his 'design signature' if I can call it that -the vase shown here is far too busy and over decorated for him

hope this helps

cheers

Mike

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 09:43:13 AM »
Mike that is very helpful, thank you.  :kissy: 

Knowing there is a reference of all the designs is valuable for the board, it makes flagging up  incorrect or dubious attributions verifiable - what a shame it's so expensive though. I just checked the WorldCat listing and it seems there isn't even a copy in any of the UK's libraries - the nearest to us are in Dublin and Nancy University.  :cry:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand