No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Modern Barovier & Toso White Spiral Vase  (Read 1442 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Large Modern Barovier & Toso White Spiral Vase
« on: March 31, 2009, 10:48:25 PM »
I recently purchased this very large signed Barovier & Toso vase for my collection.  It is signed underneath "Barovier & Toso Murano."  I adore this piece!  :kissy: It's not easy to see in photo but the swirls are produced by a fused glass process.  I am assuming based upon this signature that it would date from the 1970s or 1980s.  Does anyone know the name of the series and the designer?  Could this have been designed by Ercole?  I know he was active into his later years, and I've seen some pieces (albeit with different design) done in a simple clear and white.  I haven't found this exact piece on the internet or in any of my reference books.  Later pieces that give me hope it's an Ercole are the "Neomurrino" series is in the same general palate (clear and white, although with black) and the "Sidereo" series (similar form, but not design).
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Charles.

Offline horochar

• Members
Re: Large Modern Barovier & Toso White Spiral Vase
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 02:23:17 PM »
Well, I went to the source (Barovier), and they were very kind to provide me with the following information:

"We would like inform you that the vase in the picture was designed by Barovier&Toso in 1975, manufactured in a limited edition."

P.S. -- I'd still like to know who designed it!

Charles.

Offline horochar

• Members
Re: Large Modern Barovier & Toso White Spiral Vase
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 12:20:59 PM »
Here's an update from the Barovier folks in Italy. 

"Both the family Barovier and Toso have designed together this vase."

They were very kind to correspond with me, but this doesn't really answer my question.  Inasmuch as Barovier "house designer" Ercole died in 1972 and this piece was produced in 1975, it would be helpful to know who at this important house stepped into that role.  I'm skeptical that it was designed "by committee," as the answer suggests.

Anyhow, any information or opinions would be most welcome.

Charles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand