No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Miniature Novelty Can/Tankard with Artist — Blacksmith — Sculptor Vignettes  (Read 870 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer

Click image above for gallery with additional views.

Height 3¼" 81mm, rim diameter 2¾" 68mm, weight 6¾oz 194g.   Awkward asymmetric handle position.   Cheaply made with a leaky mould and not fire-polished, it was probably turn of the century packaging sold filled with a preserve of dubious recipe and sealed with a card disc which was waxed over.   Notley, Pressed Flint Glass, 1986, p.5, attributes these to France or Belgium without being more specific.

Has our knowledge improved over the last 23 years?   Enlightenment sought, please.

I can't recall seeing this one before, so it may be quite scarce, or it may have been made for use in a non-UK market, such as the USA.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Not preserve of dubious recipe - mustard! And yes I would agree to France as the most likely origin - though Germany and Italy cannot be excluded.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Ivo — Thanks.   I should have thought of mustard, particularly as I've been dealing in mustard pots for longer than glass, although I've been concentrating on mustard pots from the Olney and Newport Pagnell area of North Buckinghanshire.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand