No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Older interesting French? textured pink geode like bowl - ID ???  (Read 671 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Here is a piece that has been a real challenge for me.

This is an interesting piece of glass I have had for many years and the attribution has escaped me, although not for the sake of not trying! My gut reaction since day one has been that it is French. The pink tint to the piece was achieved by the thinnest layer of pink in the bowl interior that one could imagine. The pink is so thin that one only really sees the color, and not the layer of pink. It is very well executed, better than the images make it appear. It has a ground upper rim and also a ground base. There is a perfectly round frosted and dished recess on the base, and it has very light circular striations in it, almost as if it were turned on a lathe, or the mold was??? They are barely visible to the eye, and quite visible under magnification. There is age wear on the underside commensurate with some age. The pink in the glass is not as vibrant as the last 2 images make it appear. The exterior surface is deeply textured and lightly frosted in the recesses, but polished on the ridges. It is 5.5 inches in diameter, 2.75 inches tall, and the wall of the glass is approx. .75 inches thick. It was purchased at an estate auction many years ago. It is one of the most unique and puzzling pieces I own...  Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance!

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Older interesting French? textured pink geode like bowl - ID ???
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 04:34:18 PM »
Thought I would bump this up to see if any new eyes would look.....  No thoughts??

Thanks, Craig

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 05:46:45 PM »
sorry no thoughts. If it were French you'd expect the bottom to be highly polished, unless the matt I see is wear. Qualitywise it may be French - but the major makers (Baccarat, Saint Louis, Daum, Lalique) would never leave anything unsigned. So perhaps you are woofing up the wrong tree... and i'm sorry I cannot point you at the right one.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 06:45:51 PM »
Thanks Ivo

The outer rim is highly polished.  It is kind of a mottled surface and the underlying pattern is actually very fine concentric circles only really seen with a loop. To the naked eye it looks matte only. It is dished like a pontil, but perfectly round and formed. I had it for years before I looked with a loop and realized the matte finish was over very fine concentric circles. I just looked closely again, and it appears the concentric circles were done after removal from the mold, as there are no mold breaks in the circles. It almost appears that the base was ground, and the matt finish acid applied after the base was ground. I do not remember my dating for molds, but the mold is a 4 piece and not a 3 piece mold. I have added an image of a section of the bottom greatly magnified to show the circles.

Can anyone direct me to a site with mold dating time line information? Or provide me with a widely accepted time frame for the change from 3 to 4 piece molds?

I could be completely wrong thinking French.... It was just kind of an initial knee jerk reaction to the piece...  It certainly would not be the first time I was wrong.... or I am sure the last!! 

For all of the years I have had it, I have never seen another piece even slightly similar......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand