No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: yellow cased vase 8" i.d please  (Read 2077 times)

Offline malcyp

• Members
Re: yellow cased vase 8" i.d please
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 11:40:18 AM »
no,they are all reproductions i was selling quite a few of them for a while but now given up because the market is saturated.these are just a few of my own collection.
i like them a lot but couldn't afford the real thing.
i have been collecting glass for a while now and have a brother in finland and i can get hold of riihimaki vases and iittala at quite reasonable prices.
but i find great enjoyment going to car boots and picking stuff up for a couple of quid and selling them on.
on the listing title on ebay i wrote retro 60's style,i never said it was old.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline malcyp

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 11:57:27 AM »
I HAVE ADJUSTED THE LISTING AND DESCRIPTION ON EBAY.SO IT DOESN'T DECEIVE.
ALSO I DON'T WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE ON HERE AS IT IS A GREAT RESOURCE ON IDENTIFYING PIECES I AQUIRE.
THANKS
MALC

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 12:11:25 PM »
Cheers Malc,
keep carbooting, hopefully youll find a nice original piece of Whitefriars soon.

Andy

"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 12:30:54 PM »
Hi Malc,
 It sounds as if you could answer a question ...........................

What country are these repros. made??????????????  I suspect China but it would be great to know.

Regards, Patrick.

Offline malcyp

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 12:44:24 PM »
i think they are made in pakistan or india,but there is a glassblower making drunken bricklayers in horncastle now,after i sold him one!on his feedback he has recently bought a tv vase and a coffin vase,so there might be more copies coming soon.

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 02:30:13 PM »
Yes, indeedy. 

If only he'd stick to creating his own patterns and reputation, instead of piggybacking fashion and knocking out mass reproductions that cheapen and devalue the originals.  Sigh.

I know that he doesn't reproduce in the standard WF colours (as far as I know), but the ubiquity of the bricklayer design in varying colours and various grades of quality means that I no longer fancy owning one of any description.

Should a couple of previously unknown sky blue coffins suddenly show up on the market, that could make for interesting times.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 03:07:51 PM »
Sky Blue coffin vases are on pg.36 of the 1980 catalogue.  ;D

But, yes, I've seen some of the other work of the Horncastle chap, and it's such a shame that he's decided to take this route - but I suppose if you're an independent glassblower in a market constantly calling for the cheapest glass rather than the most well-made or original glass then it can be hard to ignore the call of this avenue where you're guaranteed very regular sales.

And it should be noted that whilst morally and/or artistically dubious, it's not illegal as he's producing copyright-lapsed designs in non-WF colours and is not trying to pass them off as originals. What others subsequently do with his output is where the legal grey area lies.

And also, it should be emphatically noted, Whitefriars themselves produced a lot of copied glass in the 'Glasses With Histories' series.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand