No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: yellow cased vase 8" i.d please  (Read 2078 times)

Offline malcyp

• Members
yellow cased vase 8" i.d please
« on: April 11, 2009, 06:56:47 PM »
hi, does anyone know the age and make of this vase please,
hopefully its not a year old from ikea!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: yellow cased vase 8" i.d please
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 07:18:20 PM »
Looks thoroughly modern to me. Sorry.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 08:01:23 AM »
I think we've seen these vases on this board before - although I seem to remember it was a blue/opal cased one last time.  In agreement with Nic I'm afraid, it's modern - but funky looking nonetheless :-)

Offline malcyp

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 08:35:42 AM »
oh well,it only cost a quid,i have stuck it on ebay so people who collect the holmegaard coloured glass can see it,you never know someone might like it.
thanks for the info.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 09:11:13 AM »
Yes, I've just spotted the auction.

It is a worrying trend where eBay sellers assume that they can put anything whatsoever in their auction texts as long as they follow it with a question-mark. This is just my opinion, but if you head up an auction with the title "Holmegaard?" you're indicating that you think it might be Holmegaard, but you're not 100% sure. You can be 100% sure that it's not Holmegaard. It will be either Chinese/Turkish/Indian and will have been retailed through TK Maxx or a shop of that ilk.

I can say with absolute certainty that people who specifically collect Holmegaard cased glass, paying upwards of £150 each for some of the more common vases, will not be interested in this vase - and so you would be much better served with keywords such as Pip mentioned: 'funky' and target it towards the people who don't really care what they're buying, as long as it's bright and cheerful. The glass Holmegaard produced has nothing in common with this vase in terms of style, form or quality of manufacture.

Also, you're purposefully ambiguous about the age, when two separate professional dealers in primarily 1950s-1970s glass have told you it's pretty much brand spanking new. For the same reasons above, ambiguity doesn't add anything to the vase's appeal. And there's nothing wrong with saying a vase is new - you can even make a feature of it by calling it "contemporary" instead.

This isn't a ticking off of any kind, more of a suggested guide, as it seems you're pretty new to eBay selling and, I'm guessing, just copying what you've seen others do - but purely from the perspective of a glass collector armed with a little knowledge it would come across as lazy at best, and dishonest at worst - which would be a shame because you clearly want to know more about the glass you have by dint of being a member on this board.

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 09:20:16 AM »
hi, does anyone know the age and make of this vase please,

Hi,
It is probably as old as the 2 'Whitefriars lookalike' vases you have photographed it with..................

Regards, Patrick.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 09:47:31 AM »
Patrick, I was just wondering about those two in the background - are you saying they're the modern Far Eastern copies that have been talked about so much?

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 10:06:12 AM »
That's right.   Have you ever seen a genuine Whitefriars hooped vase in Ruby?  Unfortunately they also come in Aubergine and Green, more difficult for the new collector , but although I wholeheartedly disapprove or any fakes or copies, to be fair this seller does list them as repros, small comfort!!

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 10:52:18 AM »
Hi,
The 'Onion' vase could be right but if the Ruby 'Hooped' vase was correct , it would be the FIRST know example!

Regards, Patrick.
 Ps, Perhaps the original poster could tell us what they know about them ??????

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 11:15:48 AM »
This could be the first the poster knows that he may have some 'dodgy WF'
if so may i offer a group hug.

:ghug:

Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand