No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cambridge (?) Glass Ruby Decanter  (Read 922 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Cambridge (?) Glass Ruby Decanter
« on: May 10, 2009, 10:52:27 PM »
I'm hoping to confirm that this decanter was produced by Cambridge Glass.  I haven't found the exact form on the net and don't have a Cambridge reference book.  Some features not visible in pix, ground stopper and neck, smooth and flat bottom, and mold line on one side.

Thanks,
Charles.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Cambridge (?) Glass Ruby Decanter
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 03:11:14 AM »
Nope not Cambridge, could be Paden City, Fostoria or Louie, all WV manufacturers.  Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 03:37:03 AM »
Probably should have shown an example. Ebony decanter is Cambridge, Blue decanter is Louie. Note that the Cambridge pinch decanter differs from all other US pinch decanters because (1) height, Cambridge decanter is a 3/4" taller than all others, (2) disk or rim, Cambridge decanter is not a wafer type, it does not protrude very much from neck & (3) Cambridge neck is slim & rises from body further than all others which are rather stubby. Also note that all Cambride pinch decanters are three pinch design, if you encounter a flat sided two pinch decanter (see Blue example) it cannot be Cambridge & all flat sided pinch decanters that feature overlay decorations you normally might see are not Cambridge. Ken 

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 01:09:03 PM »
Thanks Ken.  As you correctly observed, it is pinched on two sides only.  Interesting comparison to these two currently on eBay described as "Louie or Cooperative Flint," which similarly have a prominent mold line on one side and around the middle of the stopper, like mine, but the neck shape looks different, and the bottom of mine appears to be indented a bit more (see picture).  If you had to guess, when would you say mine was produced?  1920s? 1930s?  Other?
Charles

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-ANTIQUE-VINTAGE-RUBY-ETCHED-PINCH-ART-GLASS-DECANTERS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQimsfpZTL090430124002r30653QQimsxZ20090430QQitemZ250416112315QQsalenotsupported

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 02:36:25 PM »
Hi Charles. Your decanter is likely 30's. Very popular back then. Had not seen the flashed pair on eBay & they probably are Louie because Louie stopped making color decanters during WWII when chemicals they were using became scarce & when they restarted making them after the war they just continued making crystal decanters. Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand