No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: third and final lot for ID pls:- Murano or WF ?  (Read 844 times)

Offline Elmwood

• Members
third and final lot for ID pls:- Murano or WF ?
« on: May 18, 2009, 01:20:46 PM »
Hello again,

Have decided to post my third unidentified lot.......Again bought yesterday in a lot of 5 as WF ?

Have been told it works, old wiring in keeping with age.  It measures 8.5" from base to neck (without fitting).  Have scrutinised the on-line WF catalogues and havn't been able to throw any light on it.....

Either way i quite like this one, and when the plug it attached and I get to see the overall effect ......it may be staying.......

Anyway, any ideas, help, info etc would be appreciated as always........and any references to WF lamps would be interesting too.

Thanks again, Sharron

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: third and final lot for ID pls:- Murano or WF ?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 02:47:01 PM »
I have little idea if it is Whitefriars or not, if not it may be French or Italian or....

I noticed in your first photo that the bulb holder can be earthed (little screw fixing on the side). If the flex only has two wires in it I would recommend replacing it with a new flex with three wires so that the metal bulb holder can be earthed. This may help prevent an electric shock from an old fitting, generally a hair raising experience worth avoiding. You can normally find new flex in white, black or gold easily and other colours if you look harder.

I bet it will look lovely in use.

John.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kazleeb

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 03:40:01 PM »
hi try whitefriars.com theyve got a place on thier called is it whitfriars where you can post a pic, kaz

Offline Elmwood

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 07:48:21 PM »
Hi,

Thanks to John and Kaz.

John - I wondered why Mike was reluctant to put a plug on yesterday! As it happens he is a qualified electrician, but no doubt my lamp will be last in line....thankyou for the advice.

Kaz- have re-discovered the WF site and spent a morning purusing the catalogues, obeserving and learning about this great institution.

Still none the wiser about this lamp as yet.....

Sharron

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 07:56:59 PM »
Most lamps produced by Whitefriars are not in the catalogues for some reason, but if you put a photo on ISIT? on the www.whitefriars.com site, then someone may have some information gleaned from other sources.  Emmi

Offline Elmwood

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 09:06:13 PM »
Hi Emmi - Thanks for your advice today.

I take it you have no further thoughts on item no 2 from earlier? What I thought was the lobed come knobbly bowl?

Do you think I could post both them both on the WF site......

Thanks Sharron

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 09:15:42 PM »
Yes do post them both, , as I said the bowl does not leap out at me as Whitefriars, but I am not infallible and it just may have slipped out of my radar, and I haven't had time to trawl through the catalogues.  But if it is, and someone is familiar with it, then it is worth doing.  Emmi
PS I think the lamp may not be Whitefriars as the lamps I have seen have an aliminium fitting at the top unlike yours, but do try.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand