No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: unusual art glass dish, signed no idea who its by so need a little help  (Read 4824 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Hi there
i bought this around 3 months ago and have been completly stumped by it ever since, it has a scratched signiature to the base which appears to be 3 words (formation = 2 words, 3rd word under second word) it is quite hard to make any letters out at all but a complete and utter guess  lu???? pasla??? x????r  not even sure ive counted the right amount of letters in each word
31.5cms in diameter, 8.5cms at it highest weighs in at almost 1.2kgs. The underneath is slightly rough to the touch (where the black is) all the colour comes from the base almost laid onto the glass, not within?? quite hard to descibe what i mean but i hope you get the gist of it
many thanks
jonchellycain

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Crikey, I can't make any of that out.  :cry: It just looks like a scratch to me....  the bowl looks vaguely familiar though - I'm sure someone's asked about this style before but I can't remember what or when or who.   :-\ Hopefully someone else will pick up on it though.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
i have so many pieces like this that i have no idea who they are by, i wont sell things that im not sure of now becasue when i first started selling i sold a very rare piece of barovier for £10 (although i bought it for just £1, so still a profit) and have since seen it valued at £1000-£2000 :o..not a good move but hey we all learn..and i for one will never forget that piece lol
I will continue my search, fingers crossed somebody has an idea, or can at least point in some direction

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Ouch! That was a lesson learned for sure.  :o   I'm sure someone will know - a few of the regulars are off on hols at the moment though so it may take a while. If no-one picks up then we'll bump it back up again in a few weeks time.  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline scimiman

• Members
Any chance of a full picture of the base.
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
hope this helps

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
It is not "unusual piece" but waster - somebody tried to make the best from the bad job.

The simmilar Skrdovice piece "designed" by Jirina Zertova can be seen in musem in Nove Mesto na Morave. I have hard the complete and true story how this "art idea" has been brought forth :-)

Jindrich

Offline scimiman

• Members
Any chance on letting us all in on the story????
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
Story is simple.
The target was dish - plate or how to say it in English, simple flat rouded piece. It has happened that due to mistake was one side crippled ane overlapped the plate - as you can see at picture.

Wow - people said - isnt't it nice? It is something new, plate with one side ovelapped.

Soon it was presented in journals as designed plate, rather than waster. The first wa accident, than came idea.
This story told me Frantisek Vizner when we together looked at simmilar piece in Nove Mesto na Morave museum last winter.  Also my friend  Marcus Newhall was there and I suppose he can can confirm the story.

Jindrich

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Until Jindrich came along, I was going to suggest that the folded over effect, the little wrap to gather the glass, and the foil at the edge wouldn't be out of place in a Murano piece. But the colour at the centre is a little unusual.

Jindrich, did the Czech piece have the same colours and gold foil as this one?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand