No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hideous looking vase that know one dare's to look at?  (Read 4183 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Hideous looking vase that know one dare's to look at?
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 11:39:37 PM »
Tigerchips, your vase here http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=32&pos=1  is very similar to ones that are just starting to appear in British Heart Foundation shops as this year's new glass vase (instead of last year's W/f lookalikes). Just a thought that it may come from the same source theirs do, wherever that may be.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 11:35:15 AM »
I was going to post that picture on this post because the flat rim is similar to the other LG vases that I've seen. The one on ebay has no mark but the seller says that they didn't always mark their glass.

I was in the Heart Foundation when they were putting their new vases out the other day but didn't see anything similar.

I shall pop in again when I go .... gnome hunting.  :roll:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 07:58:01 PM »
Hey TC,

That 'Liskeard' vase with stripes you posted looks 'iffy' with a capital 'If'.  I've had five LG vases and have just sold one with original stickers on Ebay. I've still got four here.

From my albeit meagre knowledge, that other 'Liskeard' vase on Ebay is a mess.  The vases I own have integrity and composition, that one is just...well....it's a horror.
I am not a man

Anonymous

Re: Hideous looking vase that know one dare's to look at?
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 08:52:16 PM »
Hi Tigerchips - all the new stuff I've seen (I've been doing a bit of a 'High Street Imported Art Glass' informal hunt as I shop!) the bases are generally ground but not polished. At least yours has a polished base.... it's pretty grim though! If it's English it's the equivalent of a Chris Waddle Perm - i.e. - gotta b from the decade that taste forgot - 1980s??

Lyn Webster

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 08:56:34 PM »
Liskeard Glass, at least the two pieces in my collection & all the others I've seen have LG ground into the pontil. I'd be surprised to find anything by Liskeard that was either tacky or cheap.... although I believe they produced a range of animals (which is always dodgy ground in my opinion!).......?????????

I'm glad that piece didn't sell (7355900367). An ebayer with that much experience should know damn well that if it were Liskeard it would be stamped. My guess is it's modern & probably available from the BHF website or TK Maxx!

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Re: Liskeard
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 07:26:06 PM »
Quote from: "Lyn  Webster"
I'm glad that piece didn't sell (7355900367). An ebayer with that much experience should know damn well that if it were Liskeard it would be stamped. My guess is it's modern & probably available from the BHF website or TK Maxx!

What do you mean? The auction isn't finished yet!  :?

Quote from: "Anne"
You can stop blushing TC! My camera goes everywhere with me.

Anne, I was teasing but thanks anyway.  :lol:

(Gets out the hankey and makes room for the river)  :cry:

This item is from the same fella.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WHITEFRIARS-BUBBLE-GLASS-VASE-end-of-day-glass_W0QQitemZ7352266756QQcategoryZ64877QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Whitefriars? I can give 5,999 possible answers to that question.  :lol:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2005, 08:17:55 PM »
Quote from: "Tigerchips"

Ok so they wouldn't let me take a piccie today as the vases were in the middle of a very busy shop (makes note to self.. Saturday is not a good day to try this! ;))  anyhow, the vases have a label two SS's but the second one is back to front, and then beneath that STRAITS and below that HOME GIFT. No idea where they're made - couldn't see a country indicated. This is the same label: http://www.just-candles.net/Images/Logos/Straits_Logo.jpg

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2005, 08:46:22 PM »
Quote from: "Anne"
Quote from: "Tigerchips"

Ok so they wouldn't let me take a piccie today as the vases were in the middle of a very busy shop (makes note to self.. Saturday is not a good day to try this! ;))  anyhow, the vases have a label two SS's but the second one is back to front, and then beneath that STRAITS and below that HOME GIFT. No idea where they're made - couldn't see a country indicated. This is the same label: http://www.just-candles.net/Images/Logos/Straits_Logo.jpg

Anne, I did see a vase with this label on but the streaks were running down the outside of the vase where as mine are on the inside of the glass. Although, I could be thinking of a different vase to the one you saw.  :)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2005, 08:49:14 PM »
Ahhh good, the ones I saw were outside as well TC. So we can rule this source out. :) Who was it who said "Identification is 90% elimination?"  :wink:

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Re: Hideous looking vase that know one dare's to look at?
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 08:37:46 AM »
My original pics have disappeared so here some more, and I hope it doesn't put you off your breakfast...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand