No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hideous looking vase that know one dare's to look at?  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Hideous looking vase that know one dare's to look at?
« on: September 30, 2005, 10:46:49 AM »
Umm, My friend bought me this vase, quite a hideous looking thing it is too. The vase is hideous as well.  :)
http://tinypic.com/e64s48.jpg
http://tinypic.com/e64s5y.jpg

Actually, I couldn't figure out if it was a vase or a lamp base.

Help on this would be much appreciated. Thank you.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: Hideous looking vase that know one dare's to look at?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 10:55:33 AM »
My GUESS is that it is modern - may be Eastern European.

Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 01:42:15 PM »
most likley caithness
cheers Ray

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 09:35:39 PM »
Quote from: "RAY"
most likley caithness

I thought it might be Caithness as well but it just doesn't seem to have the quality. I mean, the hole at the top isn't even round and the vase is lop sided.

Do Caithness make thick heavy vases like this (1530g)? And do they cut the base flat?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 07:46:49 PM »
I agree with Ray, I think this is a Caithness vase.  They do a lot of that splashed up one side, over the bottom and up the otherside (oh matron YESSssss!) style of vase.

Here's one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAITHNESS-HANDBLOWN-GLASS-VASE-SPIRAL-DESIGN_W0QQitemZ7353553929QQcategoryZ2685QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I am not a man

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 10:30:48 PM »
I don't think it is Caithness - I see so many of the 'one sided' striped / splashed designs and they are medium to thin glass and with smooth sides, some do have a regular mould blown shape like the twist vase Max shows, but I have never seen a Caithness vase like the one in the first post - it looks half melted

I think yes Caithness … if it has been near a nuclear test site

I actually think it's a designer piece (sic) - a one off studio item - good try but not quite … ahemmm

The triple layered Caithness Vases and the like from the late 90s when they tried to explore new territory are supposedly worth collecting - I like the look of them but they are so recent and still have the box and price label which is high so I don't buy (hey does that scan .. em no)

I love the original Domhall O'Broin designs from mid 1960s

Here is my twilight bowl with original label - worth nothing at moment but I think a good investment for future – this is the first size ever produced (4.25”), they played about later

David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 08:50:33 AM »
I've had quite a few of these Caithness twilights, one had a white flower in the middle (much like a paperweight).
 :)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 11:49:22 PM »
I've just seen a Liskeard vase on ebay with the same colour stripes but with a different shape.  :)

So is it Liskeard then?

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 08:09:13 AM »
Quote from: "Tigerchips"
I've just seen a Liskeard vase on ebay with the same colour stripes but with a different shape.  :)

So is it Liskeard then?

Could you put a link up?  I can't find it.  Liskeard Glass usually (or in fact always? All my knobblies have anyway) has an impressed LG to the base.
I am not a man

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 08:33:31 AM »
cgi.ebay.co.uk/STUNNING-1960-s-LISKEARD-KNOBBLY-CONICAL-VASE-RARE_W0QQitemZ7355900367QQcategoryZ64877QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ebay Item number: 7355900367

It doesn't say if this piece has the LG monogramme or not but it does have those knobbly bits that I usually see on them. The vase has 8 stripes and mine has 7.  :)

I just happened to come across it because I was looking up this stamped LG vase.
http://tinypic.com/eil0jl.jpg

Note how similar the knobbly bits are to the one on ebay.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand