No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Mdina facet cut inside out vase  (Read 35788 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Unusual Mdina facet cut inside out vase
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 11:51:16 AM »
Sue your small fish vase is exquisite and then some.

The bargains for us tight wads are still out there, a little 'luck' helps but nothing beats handling as much glass as possible and spending time looking (and talking to glass) ....
A case in point is the inside out vase that started this thread (99p), my Michael Harris signed fish vase was bought at a wet and windy bootsale one October morning - the seller had a sticker on it saying "Medina Italy" (I am almost embarrassed to admit paying only £5 for it).
I guess if you can devote enough time to looking bargains can be found, if you don't have much time you probably need more disposable income!

John.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 12:20:13 PM »
My precious baby Fish is NOT for sale.

It's a bit lumpy and bumpy, but you can see how the colours and movement all work together beautifully. At this point in time, Michael Harris had only had a year or so's experience working with hot glass, basically teaching himself from scratch - given that, it's an ambitious and complicated piece, his talent, innovation and enthusiasm just shine through.
Frank, I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. We are talking GLASS, albeit nicely, in a friendly manner.
I will try to get better pics of the other things when I am able - it may well be a good week or so. I only have very limited energy, most of which is used up with just the basics of living.
I thought it best to use what I already have to illustrate, after all, it's links, not taking up server space here, rather than just letting it go.
I did think this facted inside-out should not go uncommented.
It's a scarce and important piece of glass from the early Studio Glass movement.

Thank you to everybody for the nice comments!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2009, 12:42:24 PM »
Michelle, is this the design you mean by 'mallet vase'?  Four cut facets (difficult to see in this photo), if it is see page 52.

John.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 01:05:42 PM »
An unflattened "Ice-cut" style, basically. I really like these too.

One of my "Ice-cuts" isn't actually cut, just flattened.
Sorry I didn't say this before - I can only really cope with one bit of info at a time - I can get a bit disjointed, but normally get there in the end. :thup:

And sincere apologies to you, Frank  :-*- I thought you were telling me off for chatting too much in the Glass forum!  :-[ I do get the wrong end of the stick sometimes.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 02:11:27 PM »
Have done a little digging for decent pics, seeing as this thread seems to be developing.

A couple of early Inside-outs - the blue/green one is marked Mdina, in Michael Harris' handwriting, the "brownish" one is actually amethyst, but takes on a brown hue because of the silver salts in it and the light coming through it. Reflected light leaves it amethyst.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/insideout1.jpg

Small amethyst fish

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/purplefish1.jpg

Small flat bottle - concave polished pontil mark.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/disc1.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/disc2.jpg

A rather lovely flagon - I believe it's a Boffo.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/boffojug2.jpg

Another favourite fish vase. Round, browns, with loads of irridesence. I believe round ones were by Michael Harris.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/MHroundfish3.jpg

Another of my very favourite pieces - a 17.5" strapped bottle. Amethyst and blue. There are some shadowy images of this design on the shop shelves, pp 24-5 of Mark's book.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/strappedclub2.jpg

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 04:11:17 PM »
no jon it looks more like a fish than that, when i get a minute tonight when little un' is in bed i will get it out of the cabinet and take a photo to put on here. I do love that shape too but have never had the good luck to find one as yet. my first lolliepop was just £2 at a car boot which i was pretty chuffed with..
all the best
michelle

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2009, 04:11:49 PM »
sorry your a john, my jon is a jon..

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2009, 06:29:59 PM »
I take it you mean one of the vases with Eric Dobson's Tiger pattern on the inside body, and thick blue shoulder casings, with a narrow-ish base, flaring out to a flat top, but the tiger bit giving it a tall neck, about 2.5 inches thick, Michelle?

There's a weird one in this year's Miller's Guide, with two necks, pointing in different diirections. The guide dates it mid-late '70s.

Definitely more "mallet" shaped than these "cube" ones,  ;) but I think the name was "invented" to be in line with the wrongly named "axe"
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2009, 07:43:07 PM »
Thats the one Sue, here is a couple of picture of my one..we bought it at peterborough festival of antiques last year for £40.
michelle

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2009, 08:21:33 PM »
I do not mind which spelling is used, Jon, john, Jonn, Jahn, Jane, Jonty, well maybe not Jonty (apologies to all Jontys).

What wonderful glass and lovely photos.

I had not realised that the strapped bottles could have such fluid and controlled trails. Many of those old photographs in Mark Hill's book are so tantalizing, enough of an image to make out what is photographed but not enough detail can be seen to satisfy.

I do lust after the glass blocks, has anyone seen the commission that is mentioned, I hope it still exists (photo caption top of page 25).

John but not Jonty.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand