No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Mdina facet cut inside out vase  (Read 35750 times)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Unusual Mdina facet cut inside out vase
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2009, 06:56:13 AM »
Keith's query about his (possibly) Mdina hollow weight has been split off, and the topic moved to Glass Paperweights:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,29276.0.html

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2009, 09:22:25 PM »
Hi all,
(been a bit absent recently, just found this thread! )
Ive just found an interesting snippet from  Andy McConnells Millers 20th Century glass, that i had
overlooked before, I wonder whether its true??
I quote, hopefullly not getting into copyright worries!,
'The planes on the front section of the cut ice  versions were cut and polished by
Gulemeyr, Maltas leading  glass merchant as Harris lacked the required facilities. '   page 134 !!
 Curious!

Comments welcome !!!   ;D

Discuss.........

Andy

"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2009, 11:48:42 AM »
From memory, from Mark's book, I believe there is truth in this.
I can't remember the name of the cutter, but initially, there were no cutting facilities at the studio and pieces had to be taken "into town" to be cut.

This is one reason the finishes on earlier pieces can be very random. Whether they were cut and polished and what degree of finish depended on the pressure of work in the studio to keep up with demand, the staff available to take the stuff into town etc. Even when they got their own cutting facilities, it was still dependant of the availability of staff and their time to do the finishing work.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2009, 12:12:33 PM »
Hi Sue,
just found it in Marks book, page 32, Mdina purchased a grinding and polishing machine in late 1969,
before that , the facets were polished by Gullaumier (different spelling to Andys book) a Maltese glazing
and glass company.
Another snippet from Marks book i had missed  ::)

Interesting though.
Cheers
Andy :D

(company still going strong, http://www.guillaumier.com/about.htm . Thanks google)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2009, 10:33:34 PM »
Both of the facet cut vases I have here appear to have little dull gold coloured specks on the facet faces. They should be visible in the photos. I think they may be the remains of the polishing compound used that has become embedded in the air bubbles at the surface after polishing. The bubbles are all over the vases but only on the facets are there these little 'dots'. Any ideas?

Will try and get a better photo of them in the morning.

John

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2009, 12:55:35 PM »
Just thought id pop this on , one of my favs, and the label is the same as Johns, (nearly)
I got it a few years ago, from ebay seller in Malta, no mention of Mdina (so got a good deal >:D  )

The label reads made in Malta, MU/1, Johns is MF/1 ,
Maybe the model number??  in the very early days??

Cheers
Andy
 ;D

ps Sue, i love your baby fish vase  :o :mrgreen:

Offline malwodyn

• Members
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2009, 03:28:53 PM »
Just thought id pop this on , one of my favs, and the label is the same as Johns, (nearly)

That button top looks very early to me.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2009, 05:27:31 PM »
It's very similar to the flatter one I posted earlier on in the thread - and a favourite of mine too.
Small flat bottle - concave polished pontil mark.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/disc1.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/disc2.jpg

The round polished pontil mark also signifies that it was made while the Boffos were still working there, on top of the button rim. (see Ron's post). So we are definitely looking at the Harris period for most items here.
(I seem to have an awful lot of favourite pieces. I did once try to work out what I would rescue in a house fire (after Michael and the cats) and managed then to get it down to about 18-20 bits - but I think that might have increased now...... :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2009, 06:55:44 PM »
That's a shape I don't have in my hoard, anyone out there want to swap one for a faceted inside out vase? :chky:

Managed to snap a piccy this morning, the spots seem to have a pale reddy brown kinda colour in close up.

I also have another of these Made in Malta labels on a small globe vase (blue/green with bubbles), I think the code on this one is M613 but it is a bit worn. I vaguely remember reading about these codes in Mark Hill's book and after having another look it appears they were shape numbers but the code would be different for different suppliers and/or countries. :spls:

Sue, you could always install a sprinkler system to protect your glass, I mean your house and loved ones. ;D

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2009, 11:04:59 AM »
Tracks down my close-up glasses and magnifying glass...... there is one of these copper coloured bubble/indents on a facet of mine.
Sorry, not swapping, 'cos I've got a faceted inside out! I have seen these flat bottles turn up on ebay occasionally, I don't think they're terribly rare.
Hmmm, sprinkler system... and who would pay for it?
Also in a fire, you're talking hot, then adding cold water, I think there might be explosions!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand