No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Mdina facet cut inside out vase  (Read 35846 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Unusual Mdina facet cut inside out vase
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2009, 01:34:33 PM »
 :P

Is the one in the middle at the back not a cut-ice, rather then a Fish? I've got a tall sort of wee one....

Nice inside out, but oh dear, those amethyst Fish are getting just so-ooo common, aren't they!!!!!!  :thup:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2009, 05:47:53 PM »
To tell the truth Andy, the purple fish vase was very pricey but how often will that opportunity arise? Just about payed off my overdraft as well.....

Suzy, the more time you can spend looking the better and secondly, take time to talk to people, make connections and down the line nice bits of glass sometimes pop up.

I have always called it a cut ice fish vase Sue, it's a fish vase with two facets cut on the front.... There is a similar one (not as 'nice' as mine  ;D) on page 33 of Mark Hill's Mdina book. This one is signed too, http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11789

I had not seen any of the early purple Mdina pieces in the flesh (should that be 'metal'?) before, maybe they are shiny and new to me but they sure look superb on display. :)

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2009, 06:33:59 PM »
 >:D

Wearing my pedant's hat here, it's a Lollipop with facets cut into it - though they're not always cut - sometimes they're just flattened on the marver.

Fish vases are the ones with the extra "shoulders" on, only.

And as for seeing glass in reality, I refer to it being "in vitro", 'cos in research labs where I used to work, an experiment was referred to as "in vivo" (in life) or as "in vitro" literally, in glass. (test tube).
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2009, 11:15:29 PM »
Sorry Sue, not sure what you mean about extra shoulders in relation to the two shapes.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2009, 11:29:40 AM »
The big "wing-like" casings on either side of it, mostly with a cross-over strap - are essential for it to be a Fish vase. It's a feature which came about when the glass centre part was dipped, then turned to catch the resulting trail - your button rimmed Fish is unusual in not having this cross-over strap bit.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2009, 07:48:10 PM »
Hi Sue, still don't know why you would call that centre vase a lollipop and not a fish vase. It is larger than the lollipops I have seen and much thinner too (8½ x 7½ x 1½, H/W/D), made in the fashion of the fish vases with a flattened disc like centre and substantial 'glass wings'. In Mark Hill's Mdina book, page 33 bottom right and on page 27 top you can see similar vases described as fish vases.

Can't say that I mind what it is called but it is important to know what other people mean and also to be understood when using terminology. ;D

John

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2009, 08:59:31 AM »
Sorry, dimensions stated above are in inches.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2009, 11:06:02 AM »
On p, 27, the amethyst vase is a Fish, the other is a Lollipop - describing the other on p. 33 as a cut-ice "Fish" is a mistake. Lollipops have a single thick casing, all over, Fish have the casing in two parts.
Lollipops come in all sizes - I've got one, believed to be by Olivia Said, it's 14.25 inches tall. Not a Michael Harris design in it, though the clear part is crizzled.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2009, 06:34:28 PM »
Interesting, cheers Sue. The fish/lollipop ;D vase has a pattern of concentric circles on the back like other lollipops I have seen, I think they form as the hot glass cools (thermal shock?). So not all lollipops have an hour glass (or figure of eight) shaped central cavity.

Have you given Mark Hill any 'stick' for perpetuating the fish/lollipop mistake in print? ;D

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2009, 10:37:23 AM »
 :spls:
There's every possibility! Typos happen.
And absolutely, the figure of 8/hourglass centre design is not the only Lollipop. See later on in the book how many different designs are used in the IoWSG Lollipop shape!

The concentric circles happen not so much in cooling, but as the round shape alters when it is flattened on the marver.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand