No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Mdina facet cut inside out vase  (Read 35845 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Unusual Mdina facet cut inside out vase
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2010, 07:30:53 PM »
I was about to post this on a separate thread after MUCH searching and thought just one last check...so here is my verdala bowl in 'orange and blue'!  or red and blue depending on how you see the colour   :-\ but it's definitely not orange and green  ;D

In Charles Hajdamach 20th century British Glass there is a picture of a tall bottle in the same decor and it states 'probably early 70's'.  I've also been through Mark Hill's book and on page 53 he says 'All pieces with orange bodies date from the late 70's onwards, but these were most popular during the 1980's'.

My bowl is 8 inches wide (20cm) by 2.5 inches high (6.5cm), and I wondered whether this was an earlier piece i.e. 70's given it's shape?  It is smaller than the Verdala ashtray/bowl as in Mark's book it says this was 9.75 inches.  He says this shape (and I have read it that they were in the decor he refers to as the green and sandy ochre with internal bubbles) was added to the catalogues and appeared from the mid 1970's.  I just wondered if this bowl would date from as early as the late 70's perhaps then?
Many thanks for any opinions  :)
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2010, 10:22:34 AM »
It's definitely a Verdala bowl. :thup:
They come in different sizes - I've got Ming one@ 8.25" diameter, a red and blue strapped one @ 7.75" and a "seaweedy" one @ 10".

Ming and the red and blue strapping are post-Harris - you really have to go by the colours and patterns - this (to my eyes) red and blue is what Mark refers to as orange with applied green/blue, and, as he says in his book; "Michael Harris: Mdina Glass & Isle of Wight Studio Glass", p.53, "All pieces with orange bodies date from the late '70s on...". I would think that there is a possibility that a Verdala bowl may be late '70s rather than well into the '80s.

However, I don't think they're that scarce.

(heehee, but I think my seaweedy one is!)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2010, 08:57:30 PM »
Thanks Sue, I love this bowl a LOT.  But from your comments I still don't yet have a 'collection' of rare then  :'(
Onwards and upwards as they say, so that's rare and NSC I'm now looking for  ;D
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2010, 10:50:25 AM »
It has to be said, I rarely use the "R" word..... I think it's a bit dodgy. :wsh:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2013, 05:02:22 PM »
Picked up another facet cut inside out vase last weekend, a tad more colourful than the one which started this thread (flat polished base on the new one). I am very pleased with it. ;D

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2013, 05:27:05 PM »
Totally appropriate, given we're gettting a new Dr. Who and it's all over the media - these belong right in that fantasy world - this new one of yours particularly - what a gorgeous effect you get where the cutting shows the all the insidey layers.
(not to mention, congrats on your sleuthing finding this thread!)

Lovely. Just perfectly lovely.  ;D

(ps, I wonder if we're finally getting to the bottom of that one pot of cobalt glass that was melted at Mdina.... ?  ;) )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2013, 06:50:47 PM »
that's lovely John  :)

'(ps, I wonder if we're finally getting to the bottom of that one pot of cobalt glass that was melted at Mdina.... ?  ;) )'

is John's latest find cobalt ?  or am I misunderstanding. 

I have a cobalt blue sidestripe I've not yet shown.  Mainly because I've become confused about a comment on here on another thread  - where John says that it was only used in it's unmodified form as a final colour for a short period of production in the first year, and that in it's unmodified form means with no chlorides etc added.  Mine is cobalt blue without a shadow of a doubt but has chlorides in it internally.  So was it a cobalt blue pot that was used in another period of time? or is it from the one pot of cobalt blue used in the first year  ???  Happy to post it on another thread but have been silently wondering in my few glassy moments available at the mo  :)
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2013, 07:06:58 PM »
We hadn't seen any with silver chloride in the actual cobalt blue bit - but my "Precious Baby Fish" has streaks of cobalt, as well as the ambers and turquoisey blue and clear.
The peculiar small, (damaged) strapped bottle I acquired recently is Cobalt, but only in the final, partial casing.
(I haven't posted any images of that yet.)
I think the simple answer is that we really don't know, M.
What we can speculate depends on what comes out of the woodwork!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2013, 07:33:40 PM »
ok, I'll post a new thread - I don't think mine has chloride in the cobalt blue casing - it's like an almost inside out that someone posted (I need to find the thread) - I think the chlorides are all internal.
I've not double checked the pics of it or brought it down from upstairs yet.  I'll go and get it and post :)
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand