No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Shapes?!?  (Read 2347 times)

Offline shanbeat

• Members
Shapes?!?
« on: October 06, 2005, 04:20:20 PM »
Can anyone tell me what shape this carnival piece is considered? It's ruffled, but what shape is it? Ice cream shaped, etc? Are these both considered the same shape?

So many things to collect and only so much money...

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Shapes?!?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 05:09:44 PM »
The shape is a ruffled bowl. I would call both of those items by that name.

An ice cream shaped (ICS) bowl is a low round bowl - with no ruffling or crimping at all, and usually with a slight cupping inward.

An ice cream bowl is the master bowl to an ice cream set (6 small ice creams would accompany it). But if a bowl has the same round shape (and isn't part of a set - but is just a regular bowl) it is described as ice cream shaped.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline shanbeat

• Members
Ruffled!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 05:22:52 PM »
Thank you very much Glen! I found it very difficult to determine it's value not knowing what shape to call it. Hopefully, it will be alittle easier now. I am trying to determine if my mother-in-law got a good deal or got hosed. She bought me these pieces and I believe she paid $150.00 for the Sapphire water lily bowl and $65.00 for the green Two Flowers bowl.
So many things to collect and only so much money...

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Shapes?!?
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 07:08:24 AM »
It's always difficult to determine value - so many variables come into play. With Carnival, it's not only the pattern, shape, condition and colour that matter it's also the quality of iridescence.

You're so lucky that your mother bought you those pieces. I have a bowl that my father bought me many years ago when I first started to collect Carnival Glass. He didn't have a clue about the glass - he just recognised that it was Carnival and was what I had begun collecting.

It's just an ordinary bowl in a common pattern - and it has poor iridescence. But do you know - it's more valuable to me than many pretty, high dollar pieces in our collection because of what it represents. I wouldn't part with it for the world.

I wish you well with your collecting and I hope you get much pleasure from it.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand