No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Did Dino Martens design paperweights ?  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Did Dino Martens design paperweights ?
« on: July 12, 2009, 10:01:22 AM »
This is one of my favourite paperweights . I love the 'jazzyness' of the canes and the vibrant colours. Could this be a Dino Martens inspired design ?   
Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Did Dino Martens design paperweights ?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 12:47:06 PM »
The top of the paperweight does look like an Aureliano Toso piece, particularly the vaseline-like color that is in a couple of the large canes. I haven't seen a A Toso scramble bottom like this. It is very AVeM or Fratelli Toso-like. Is the weight low-dome? I suspect it is Aureliano Toso. I don't know if Martens had anything to do with the weights except being the artistic director of the company. Martens is often credited with designing the latticino-cane scramble work of AVeM and Fratelli Toso. I really haven't found any evidence for this. Judith Miller said "maybe" in one of her books. It was repeated by a couple of people, then finally evolved into a "fact."

I enjoy finding A Toso paperweights because they are not as common as other companies. The workmanship is often a bit sloppy, but it is just part of their charm.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 12:55:27 PM »
I should add that the way the canes wrap around the sides, instead of making a flat surface, also points to Aureliano Toso. So, I think your A Toso diagnosis is probably right.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 03:34:30 PM »
Thanks TxSilver very much for your clarification on this matter. Very interesting ! It's only a small weight , diameter 5.5 cm height 4 cm. I've added a side view photo so I guess it is low-dome. As you say the workmanship is a bit sloppy , there is a small dimple at the apex of the dome which slightly distorts the view from above ...but the non-formal aspect of the cane work totally does it for me ! I've been looking out for other examples with a scrambled base and have been unsucessfull so far. Thanks again for your help. 
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 03:42:58 PM »
Sorry it's high-domed ....just read your other post !! ....I'm new to paperweights ! :-[
Mike

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 04:05:12 PM »
I'm not sure now. I've added a couple of side views of Aureliano Toso paperweights that have labels. Maybe people can compare and see what they think. I believe that both of these paperweights were about 2.5" (6.3 cm) wide. Notice that both of them have a vaseline-like color around some of the canes. I can't remember how they reacted under black light. My brain is disintegrating into a million shards. I guess I am looking at too much glass.  :huh: All the AToso paperweights I've handled have had tooling marks and swirls in the middle of the dome.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 04:25:41 PM »
Well mine definately has a polished little bump at the top of the dome. Also I have checked it under UV light and it is radioactive !
Mike

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 04:38:06 PM »
I think mine was uranium, too, but I didn't write it down anywhere and I don't have the weights anymore. My thoughts are that your weight is probably Atoso. I saw one small weight on eBay once. I think it was about 5.5 cm if I remember right. I tried to win it, but came in second place.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
Well, I bought this on ebay so it could be the same weight !!  It was described as Dino Martens style, that was why I posted this question. Thanks again !
Mike

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 05:47:16 PM »
The one I saw on eBay had a label, which is why I wanted it so much. It sold for a good price. At least we know that AToso made some smaller weights.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand