No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lucky Find - Genuine Dominick Labino Vase  (Read 1701 times)

Offline westred

• Members
  • Real Murano ONLY comes from Murano, Italy!
Lucky Find - Genuine Dominick Labino Vase
« on: July 17, 2009, 05:25:01 AM »
Happy Friday,

Just had to show everyone the incredible piece of glass I acquired yesterday!  I just stopped into a thrift shop that I usually go to once a week.
For some reason, I had already been there 3 days earlier, but I just had a feeling that I should go in on and e3errand I had to run anyway.
I found this underneath the counter and purchased it immediately for $20.  I knew Labino was a desirable name in the Art Glass world, but really had
no idea what I had and researched it on the web.

He was a great influence in the Art Glass world, having written a book, "Visual Art in Glass", in 1968 and received the Steuben Phoenix Award in 1977
for his influence and contribution to the production in Art Glass.  He has been bestowed many other honors and has his work displayed in many
museums around the world, (including The Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C., Victoria and Albert Museum, London, and National Glass Museum,
Leerdam, Holland), just to name a few.

If you look his name up on the web, you can't but see his notoriety in the field, as well as the many One-man shows he opened and held.
I found a piece similar to this one on the web at the Hudson Gallery in Sylvania, Ohio (Labino's home state) selling for $2400, and it was smaller than mine.
He has since passed away and his processes and innovations are still being used today.

I am not sure what I will do with the piece, I just wanted to share what I had found with you fellow Art Glass lovers and see if you had any insight
to any of Dominick Labino's work.  See the photos below.  I just love the way he (fibered) the bubble pieces together!  You can see it in the close up!

Also, the mark under the date, do you know if that was something he put in purposely included, such as a logo of symbol? 

Regards to all,

Tom Sparks (westred)

westred......yea, ya betcha!

And God said, "Let the weights hold down the papers!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand