No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual black w/ green frosted ovals double overlay glass- ANY INFO. APPRECIATED  (Read 2378 times)

Offline p.w.modern

• Members
   Hello,
      I apologize if that title sounds a little confusing. I really am unsure of what to call this piece. I had bought it on ebay from a seller that had it listed as a "thumbprint ice bucket". And so far the only info. I have gotten is from a major online glass dealer who also found it unusual and had never seen one like it. And that person said that they would describe it as a "double overlay" from "possibly the 1930s". It is shaped more like an ice bucket than anything else. Although, I don't think that would be what it was originally intended for. It has a very interesting optical effect when placed in light and I would keep it as a display piece.
   OK, the description.... it is about 7 inches tall, black glass with sort of lime green frosted little oval shaped windows(for lack of a better term) all around it that really glow when the sunlight hits them. The black glass when held to the light to me seems to have a purplish tint but my husband thinks it seems more reddish tinted. On the bottom, there is one single green frosted "window" but this one is a circle not an oval and is marked but the mark is just a sort of "swish". As if some one took a paintbrush and swiped away a bit of the frost to reveal clear green glass. The edge of the glass appears to have a clear layer but I cannot tell if it is clear green or clear and just reflecting the green. Inside there are many very slight lines that are not hairlines and not part of the design. I wonder if these are "strawmarks"?
  I have been searching and searching and have posted this item on other forums but so far no one has seen one before or has any information about it. So any info. you may have is greatly appreciated. Thank you 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Sorry if I rain on your party - but it appears to be a recent Polish or Romanian or Chinese vase with not much intrinsical technical excitement. I understand why people say "double overlay" and "thirties"- but I cannot see it in this example. The vase is green with a single dark overlay. Depending on how deep you cut, the green shines through more or less - so the circular pontil mark which has been finished off shallow presents a deeper colour than the olives in the body.

In true double overlay you get cut-to-clear patterns with two different colours, or (as is the case in the famous Borussia glass) clear windows with a white lining.

"Straw marks" is an ancient misnomer for striae found in pressed glass made in cold moulds. And the straightforward bucket shape is the design language of the nineties and beyond...

I think  you've come across a really nice glass vase, and you should not be afraid to use it. The shape is also appropriate for a small candle which should give a particular fine shine.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline p.w.modern

• Members
"Sorry if I rain on your party"  ..... And what "party" would that be? I was merely stating what ever details I knew about this item.
   The fact that I stated that someone else besides myself had never seen this before means nothing more than just that. That they had not seen one and neither had I. I was not implying that we thought we had a treasure on our hands. I was just saying that I have not been able to find out anything about it.  And also, I'm really not concerned about whether or not you find it to have..."not much intrinsical technical excitement" because I just think it is a lovely item and wanted to know a little more about it.  The green pontil is not a deeper color than the ovals. It is exactly the same shade. It just looks different in the photo.
  And so for telling me it's either from..."Poland".... or ....."Romania" or possibly "Chinese"  Thanks
 You know I was glad to have found this forum but between your response on the other thread about the orange and white vase and this one, I must say I am a little disappointed. I was expecting something a little more positive.

Offline krsilber

• Members
Could you please show a close-up/larger photo of the edge of one of the windows?
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
 And so for telling me it's either from..."Poland".... or ....."Romania" or possibly "Chinese"  Thanks
 You know I was glad to have found this forum but between your response on the other thread about the orange and white vase and this one, I must say I am a little disappointed. I was expecting something a little more positive.

Goodness me, what an unpleasant response to Ivo's post trying to help!  Ivo certainly knows his glass and has written books on the subject - I'm always thoroughly delighted when he offers an opinion on something of mine.  I suspect Ivo (and possibly others here) will be less inclined to help you in future if this is the thanks they get!  So when you said at the end of your post 'So any info. you may have is greatly appreciated. Thank you' you didn't actually mean it then.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
To get back on topic regarding information on your glass, for what it's worth I'd say that going on the base photo you've posted there isn't nearly enough wear on the base for it to be 1930s production.  It looks remarkably unblemished.

Offline jomo99

• Members
    • Croydon, England.

Hi,
     I bought a two of these from T K Maxx a couple of years ago when I was 'dressing' my flat ready for sale, as Ivo suggested they look great with votive candles in!

John
The Blindingly Obvious is Never Always Apparent!!

Offline p.w.modern

• Members
 I have no interest in getting involved in this with any of you. I just thought he came off a bit rude and my reply was to him not you.
  As I said earlier, I would like a more positive experience on this glass board but it is quickly taking another direction. So from here on out, my posts will only be about the glass. I cannot continue this thread by responding to responses of those who want me to know that they are angry or disagree with my opinion. So let's just get back to the other threads about glass, shall we?

Offline Glasshound

• Members
    • Glasshound
Buh-bye!  ;D

/Blair
American and European Art Glass, Antique to Contemporary
http://www.glasshound.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
I have no interest in getting involved in this with any of you. I just thought he came off a bit rude and my reply was to him not you.
  As I said earlier, I would like a more positive experience on this glass board but it is quickly taking another direction. So from here on out, my posts will only be about the glass. I cannot continue this thread by responding to responses of those who want me to know that they are angry or disagree with my opinion. So let's just get back to the other threads about glass, shall we?

If you post on a public message board you have to expect responses from ANY and all of the membership.  I will respond to your posts if I feel like it and what I choose to say is up to me (as long as it falls within the board rules and guidelines).  You are not entitled to tell me who I can respond to and what I should be talking about.  Glad that's sorted out!

Looking forward to seeing more of your glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand