No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Overmyer threaded glass drawer knobs  (Read 6483 times)

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
Re: Overmyer threaded glass drawer knobs
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 05:25:32 PM »
if you´ve got uranium green ones and intend to use them you could use blue LEDs...
they emit some UV.

Oh ho, there's an idea-- they make UV LEDs did you know?  I often see them in pen form, used for detecting fake currency and such (also good for spotting resin repairs of glass, like they do in the insulator collecting world).  I will break out my UV lamp and see if these are uranium green or just nice green......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 06:17:54 PM »
They make them battery operated for a keychain also...

All you need is some thin wire, a contact design to complete a circuit when the door is closed and a single LED driver you can mount on top of or in one of the cabinets and you are good to go. The driver you need would depend on the number of the LED's you want to run, but they are such low power consumption that you would have to have a huge set of cabinets and pulls to need a very large one.  And just think, I am sure the whole thing would be considered to be "green" with the minimal amount of power the lighting would consume.....  

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 07:03:47 PM »
All you need is some thin wire, a contact design to complete a circuit when the door is closed and a single LED driver you can mount on top of or in one of the cabinets and you are good to go. The driver you need would depend on the number of the LED's you want to run, but they are such low power consumption that you would have to have a huge set of cabinets and pulls to need a very large one.  And just think, I am sure the whole thing would be considered to be "green" with the minimal amount of power the lighting would consume.....

Typical LED forward voltage is about 2V (more for blue & white); all you need to worry about is current limiting, so if you just series enough LEDs to match the supply voltage then that's it, no driver, no extra resistors, no nothing.

My dresser has 4 knobs per drawer (which used to be two pulls per drawer), so I could make up a little brute force 8V power supply and run 4 2V LEDs per drawer with no extra circuitry; I'd just need to supply enough current to drive all drawers at once, which still doesn't add up to much-- definitely "green" accent lighting.  Bet nobody else has lit knobs on their dresser...

Some little variable wall warts produce 9V, that would be 2.25V per LED which is probably fine; might not need to make my own power supply at all.  This is definitely doable.  It'd be nicer with a photocell to only light them up at night tho.

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 07:09:17 PM »
:clap head:
Ian, i surely knew there are UV-LEDs, but somehow always forget about them.
i had a blue one (a give-away from a mineral water box) and got so used to it...
however - it broke some weeks ago, so i´ll get me a portable UV for my flea
market forays now.
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 07:16:27 PM »
I want to see pictures......  Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand